Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to install a stereo and amp

levdavisel
02-24-2007, 06:19 AM
My stereo was stolen from my car. The miracle was that the theif did not mess up any of the wires that was hooked up to the old unit. So I went out and bought another unit thinkingI could just plug it in where the old one was(I had never bought a radio or installed on either). I have since learned how to install a basic head unit, but still need help with installing my amp. My propblem is the new unit I bought dosen't have a place to plug in any RCA jacks. So I went out and got a high/low inpedance adaptor going by what stores told me I needed. But I still can't get my amp to work. How do I hook up my amp given the current problem? Is this impedance adaptor what I need? I really liked that thread on "The correct way to hook up a car stero." this is the kind of help I'm looking for. Your help is really needed.

PaulD
02-24-2007, 07:33 PM
to hook up an amp ..... you need power and ground, an auto turn-on, inputs (from your convertor), and output wires to the speakers. The impedance matcher, known as a LOC (line output convertor), needs an input an an output. The RCA cables for the deck go into the input and the output goes to the high level inputs on your amp.

Add your comment to this topic!