Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car Stalling

jjfur
02-24-2007, 12:46 AM
My Car is stalling at random times, both when driving and when idle at lights etc. When it stalls it the drive train, battery and oil lights all come on. I've checked the oil and the battery but nothing seems wrong with them. Does anyone has any idea what is going on?

mmcleo11
03-02-2007, 03:12 AM
When it stalls, you loose oil pressure and voltage, hence why these lights come on. It is normal and is also why they should come one, when the ignition key is in the ON position before you start the car.

What sort of car is it? V6 Commodores are common for having the harmonic balancer rubber fail and put the ignition timing out, which causes the car to stall. The harmonic balancer is at the bottom of your fan belt, which is the big pulley your crankshaft turns.

EvilSpeed
03-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree with the harmonic balancer thing, that bugger is always an issue on VR, also check the plug on the alternator give it a wiggle with the engine running, if the rev sound changes it could be as simple as getting a new plug and not a whole new alternator as I found out the hard way.

sparkeykev
03-30-2007, 03:06 AM
what make model and year is the car vl comadore had probs with the plug at the airflow meter boot perishes water gets in and corrodes terminals

jjfur
03-31-2007, 06:49 AM
It's a 1997 vt acclaim. One of my mates has suggested that it could be the idle speed, is this likely to be the problem?

mmcleo11
04-04-2007, 03:33 AM
VL Commodores also have problems with the Crank Angle Sensor in the Distributor, water getting into the Crank Angle Sensor boot, Air Flow Meter failures, Fuel pump failure and then a number of other VL related problems that mechanics refer to as 'VL-itus'

Club327
09-24-2007, 04:09 PM
the idle air control valves are known to stick, causing intermittent stalling. The IAC valve should be replaced if suspect - the valve's located on the throttle body. The crank angle sensors when they're faulty, cause the engines to stop and not restart until the sensor cools down. Throwing water onto a hot sensor will usually get the car to restart if the sensor's at fault.

Add your comment to this topic!