Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS, Low Trac, Service Light coming on. Need to get state inspection done. Pleas help

01AleroUser
02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a 2001 alero (4 cylinder) with 145K miles on it. ABS, Low Trac, Service Light and sometimes Brake Light are on as soon as my car is in motion(Lights are not lit initially when I turn the engine on. As soon as I change the gear from parking to reverse or drive they all are lit). I took it to Autozone for error code lookup but no codes were reported. I gave it to the dealer for checkup. The dealer initially said it will cost $80 for diagnostic but he called later in the afternoon and said it might require 3 to 4 labor hours to diagnose the problem and will cost me $200. I backed off. I dont know how much more life the car has so don't want to spend too much on it. I live in Texas which requires annual vehicle inspection. I am already due for the inspection. My vehicle will not qualify for inspection as the lights are on. Is there any way to diable the lights and get the state inspection done or any other alternative? I don't want to spend like 1000 bucks on this car and then trash it in a year.

BNaylor
02-23-2007, 04:25 PM
The reason why the lights (SVS, ABS and TRAC OFF) come on when you are moving is that is when the ABS system initializes and runs a self test. There must be motion to check the ABS wheel sensors. From all indications it looks like one of your wheels has a bad hub/wheel sensor. Determining which one is the hard part and normally diagnostics should be run with an ABS capable scanner. Autozone scanners cannot read out GM ABS/Chassis codes.

Another thing you can do with a DMM is ohm out each wheel sensor and check the electrical connector/wiring at the back of each hub. Look for around 1K ohms resistance across the wheel sensor contacts hub side.

goon13642
02-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I have the same problem with my 01 Alero. Had my car taken to the dealership. They hooked up the computer and it threw codes for the wheel bearings and speed sensors in both front wheels. Well I had both wheel bearings replaced and lights were still on. Going to replace the ABS motor/module and I will let you know what I find out. Good Luck!

MartyW
03-31-2007, 11:10 AM
This is a similar problem that occurred in a 2000 Grand Am. Turned out it was a short in a wire about 5 inches up from the plug to the sensor.

Add your comment to this topic!