Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anti-theft device on 98 S10

collujstoodunt
02-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Okay, so my boyfriend's S-10 has a little black box on the bottom side of the dash that appears to be an antitheft device. Now he's no mechanic, and my skills are very basic, but he has messed with it a little, and I'm fairly confident it's an antitheft feature. The problem with it is that a black switch (not the toggle switch) broke, so now the truck won't start. He's trying to locate parts for it now, so I'm not looking for any quick fix ideas immediately. But if anyone knows what I'm talking about, do you know any ways around this in the future???

And while I'm at it, does anyone know where to look for a short in the wiper blades? They occassionally don't turn on when we need them. It's only happened a few times, but they're completely unresponsive. He's found that if he turns off the truck, opens the door, closes it and restarts the truck it will sometimes start them. Any ideas what would cause this??? Thanks.

muddog321
02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Aftermarket device so good luck - I would take it out completely. If he has a remote thats part of it cause 99up started the factory remote/keyless entry. There are a mess of connections under that dash from it. For about $125-150 Circuit City or Best Buy will put a new one in and pull that mess out and guarantee it for life!

collujstoodunt
02-22-2007, 08:08 PM
It shows up in the owner's manual, so it's a factory installed problem. He just shoved the small screwdriver portion of his leatherman into it and managed to start it. Would still like to know if there are other ways around it??? thanks for the advice though.

gringonaranjito
04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
dont know about the box but as for the wipres i had the same problem it did the same thing if i pulled the wipers they would come on sometimes and i would do the same thing as him turn it of thn on and there it would go i had to change the wiper motor due to it was the circuitr board attached to the motor it was cracked tht could be ur problem

old_master
04-13-2007, 07:03 PM
This part will fix the wipers:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=DOR&MfrPartNumber=88136&PartType=2040&PTSet=A

3 or 4 screws and it's a done deal, takes about 5 minutes to do.

Add your comment to this topic!