Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

service engine soon light comming on

cjluis
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I have a 94 camaro and the service engine soon light comes on every once in awhile. I have noticed it usually only comes on if it is a bit warmer out side but not always. I have tried to get the obd to show the code but I have been very unsuccessful. I have tied a paper clip and a so called code key but nothing. Any other suggestions of how to get the code with out spending a ton of cash would be great. I think it might be the O2 sensor but not sure. The car also has about 137k on it.

wrightz28
02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Paperclip will not work on your car, it's an OBDI hybrid (the inbetween phase in for OBD II) you need a compatable scanner to get the code.

blindeyed
02-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Since you have the obd1 hybrid with the obd2 port, then Advance Discount (maybe some others, not sure on that) should be able to scan your codes for you. Of course they're going to ask you for the year of the car, and you say 1994, then they tell you they can't read it. But that's not true, their scanner reads both OBD1 and 2 systems, they just don't have the OBD1 connectors. But tell the person that you have an OBD1 system with the OBD2 style connector. But before they try to scan the codes, tell them go in and put the year make model and engine in on the scanner, then read the codes. Otherwise the scanner wont read any codes.

I hate how they don't train the people to use those things...

bag91
03-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I bet its something stupid like your egr valve..........

Add your comment to this topic!