Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel filter?

jb3752
02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I think my fuel filter may be clogged but I'd like someone else's opinion. I have an 89 camaro 2.8, everything stock, automatic trans. First it seemed hesitant to accelerate, I could get up to 50 easily (a little slower than usual) but I couldn't go much higher no matter how much I pushed on the accelerator. The engine light is on. The main thing is, when stopped at a light or stop sign, the car jolts back and forth and won't stay still while I brake and sometimes turns off. This all happened on my way home. Later when I drove it again everything was fine except the engine light was still on.

So I think it's the fuel filter. And if so, how much does something like this usually cost to fix in a shop? Is it inexpensive or should I just wait for my friend to fix it?

Any responses would help!!

Thank you!

Morley
02-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Before you go throwing parts at it, what is the code that it is throwing? (the check engine light is on for a reason)

jb3752
02-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Don't know, I'd have to take it to a shop to get that figured out.

goldz28
02-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Some auto part stores have tools to read codes. Check around before you pay for a shop to read it for you.

wrightz28
02-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Don't know, I'd have to take it to a shop to get that figured out.

On a OBD-I operating sytem, my friend, the most valuable piece of equiptment to add to your tool box to aide in diagnostics:

A paperclip :thumbsup:

jb3752
02-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Alright, so I took it to a shop to read it (didn't have to pay much) and here are the codes:

22 throttle position senor to low
42 electronic spark timing EST problem
34 MAF sensor or circuit to low

He said it's basically not responding to gas. I figured I'd just buy the parts and have my friend fix them. How serious would you say these problems are though? Are they thing you could fix in your driveway or should I be taking it to a repair shop?

Add your comment to this topic!