1998 740il ASC(DSC) light on

Marz740il
02-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Also just noticed the ASC(DSC) light is illuminated. Any body know what a common problem is for lighting this up.

Thanks,
Mike

lincolnmaster80
02-20-2007, 04:19 AM
You might find this internesting:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=664459

Especially the second to last post...

For an 01/1998 production model, the DCS module is part number: 34 52 6 750 115. The part number for the ABS module is: 34 51 1 090 911. The REALOEM site lists the parts as $1000 and $2000 respectively...no typing error there, it's in the thousands...but don't let that scare you, those prices may not have been updated or they may be the BMW Dealerships price, in which case you can probably (and most likely) find something way cheaper.

The ABS sensors, might also need to be cleaned. Thin brake pads might be a possibility, as I've heard it can cause problems on other cars like Benz, but not sure about BMW.

It would also help if you posted the build date of your car, or if you feel comfortable supplying the last seven digits of your VIN number so we can look up exactly what your car came with. You can find your build date by going to this site and entering your last seven digits of your VIN:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Marz740il
02-20-2007, 04:35 PM
My Production date is showing up 1997/07 so it should be good as far as those 2 major probs right?

lincolnmaster80
02-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, the cars from year to year were pretty much the same. Some problems were fixed on later models and other arouse. It might be the control relays, but I'd try simpler and smaller things first.

Simpler/Smaller: I've heard that the ABS sensors can become dirty. A symptom of this is a pulsing brake pedal under light braking applications. A failing sensor can also cause this. If you do not have this, then the sensors can probably be counted as good. I'm not toooo sure what else it can be...I'm not tooooo familiar with the E38's. I'm just relaying some information that I've been able to dig up around the internet...

This part is a shock in the dark, but check the brake pads to see if they need replacing. On my E32, I've heard of a warning that will come up saying something along the lines of check brakes and I THINK the brake light in the dash will come on as well until you replace the brake pads. I haven't had this warning as of yet so that's on my 'to research' list.

I looked around the net for some cheaper prices on those two part numbers I found, which were the same for 07/97 and 01/08 productions. Didn't find anything THAT much cheaper as of yet, $900 and $1600 respectively.

I'd try finding a parts car in that case and see if you can pull those parts for a decent price and test them out on your car to see if it cures the problem. If you have a friend with those modules, you can also consider a temporary swap to see if you can pinpoint the problem. In the mean time, I'll continue my search for some more reasonable prices for ya on those modules...

Marz740il
02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks, I'm not 100% on getting this until I take it into the mechanic. Just talked to him today so he is going to run the test and pinpoint the problems. Hopefully it isn't to expensive because it is deffinitly a great looking car. Thanks for looking around though I'm deff learning alot just from your post alone haha.

Mike

lincolnmaster80
02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I'm not 100% on getting this until I take it into the mechanic.
Good plan! Might I inquire if it's the Inspection II that I suggested or is it an independant? Just curious. It's a good idea to get it looked at before you buy it cuz then you know what you are up against when ownership does come along. One of the reasons why I bought my car as I found out in short order that it's nothing for these cars to spend $2000 in one sitting...

Hopefully it isn't to expensive because it is deffinitly a great looking car.
...but don't let that scare you though. You're right on that. They are very sharp looking cars and still are way ahead of their time as far as technology and electronics are concerned...I'd guess about 10 years ahead of their time, as GM didn't come out with the dipping passenger mirror when you put the gear stalk in reverse until recently and I have it on my 1990 750iL.

If you are a DIY type, you can find simple easy fixes for some of the most complex jobs. The most expensive fix I've done on my car so far came to $200 Canadian Dollar. I replaced the distributor caps and distributor rotors. On the E32 V12, the motor requires two caps and rotors, one for each bank of six. If I were to get that job done at the dealership or an indendant, I'd be looking at somewhere between $500-$700 with parts and labour/install.

Anyways, if you have time, let us know how it turns out! I'm interested to know what was wrong.

Marz740il
02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Independent and supposed to be a very good independent. My uncle has a 1999 740I and I guess BMW dealer couldnt find why one of his warning lights were going off and the independent guy found it. Also believe it or not I found a nicer 98' 740i about 3 hours away from here. 50,000 miles less the the 740il no warning lights m rims everything works perfect just needs oil change and new tires. Made an offer and might be going pick it up this weekend.

lincolnmaster80
02-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Right on! Hope it all works out.

Remember, with these cars, it helps to be VERY picky when it comes to essential opporations. When I was shopping for my E32, I was told that if I so much as didn't like how the car smelled, consider looking at another one...well, maybe not that picky, but just to emphasize the point to go over it with a fine tooth comb...fortunately for me, I liked the smell of the real wood trim and buffalo leather...

Add your comment to this topic!