Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Annuda Won't Start Thread '90 2.3ltr Amigo

eippermx
02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
HELP! I'm at my wits end. I have a 1990 2.3ltr carbureuted Amigo that had an engine that had bad rings and was on its last legs. It ran fine (except for the low compression/bellowing smoke coming out the tailpipe) when I pulled the engine and replaced it with a low mile 2.3ltr motor. The truck fired up fine and ran good after its heart transplant. :) The Amigo had about an hour of time on the newly installed motor when it died at idle in front of the house. There is spark at the plugs. I put some gas down the carburetor. Voila! It fired up for a few moments. I thought, "Aha! Fuel pump." I replaced the pump with a spare one I had. No luck. It does the same thing. I pulled the fuel line that connects to the top of the carb and turned the motor over. The pump is shooting out plenty of fuel. So I know the carb is getting gas. I am at a loss as to where to look next. I have look at other threads and see issues with the alternator, and charge relay. Where would I find the charge relay? What should the alternator read when I fire up the truck? Any help would be appreciated to troubleshoot this problem.

mark
In da Govenators State

eippermx
02-19-2007, 09:38 PM
UPDATE:
I put some gas down the carb and fired up the Amigo up long enough to take a voltage reading at the battery. The battery reads 12.3 VDC before start and as the motor runs for a few moments the reading changes to 13.8 VDC. Looks like the alternator is good. Found the charging relay under the hood in the fuse box.
Anyone know how to check the relay with a DVM? Any help with this problem would be helpful. :)

mark

eippermx
03-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Annuda update: Found out the reason why the Amigo did not fire up and stay running...The electrical plug on the back of the alternator was not completely seated. Go figure. :|
mark

Add your comment to this topic!