Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starter motor??

02-19-2007, 12:15 PM
1989 Honda Accord LXI, 4 cyc, 5 speed, 200,000 miles. Car seems to run okay.

When trying to start the car all I can hear is the starter motor spinning. Once is awhile the starter engages and the car starts right up. What I have observed is that starter motor engages the flywheel for a very short time and then it disengages and the starter just spins. Took starter motor out and had it checked at auto parts store. They said the starter checked out okay. As I watched them check it I could see the gear extending. This is a rebuilt starter installed maybe two years ago. Car will start easy when push staring. Even though starter checked out okay could it still be the problem.

Thanks for any help.

NesOne
02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
First, I would check the flywheel and see if any teeth are chipped, rounded, or missing. If it looks o.k., then I would mount the starter back on, and make sure that it's bolted on securely, to insure proper engagement. If all that is good, then maybe it is the starter, and I would get another one, and see how that goes. Good luck.

Nes

02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Bought a rebuilt starter motor this weekend and installed it. Problem fixed. The Bendix Gear was not making contact with the flywheel. Maybe a weak spring???

Add your comment to this topic!