Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no clock!

Orion2247
02-18-2007, 01:31 PM
The small LED screen that displays the time and radio station/cd track keepz going out. It'll decide to work maybe once a month, but it's pretty much gone. The actual display works, I can still see the numbers if I look very hard under the right light, so I believe it may just be the back light. My friend has a 1998 trans am with the exact same problem. So is this fairly common? Anyone know of a fix? Or am I doomed to replace it with a deck that's way too small for the space?

hotrod_chevyz
02-18-2007, 06:48 PM
You can open the stereo up and find the short or buy a new stereo and dash kit. You can also buy a stereo that will fit in the hole but they cost more than the ones your talking about being too small for the hole.

goldz28
02-18-2007, 09:54 PM
They make dash kits that look pretty good. Does it look different when you have the lights on?
Here is what my kit looks like.
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/7069/clariontn8.png (http://imageshack.us)

hotrod_chevyz
02-18-2007, 11:01 PM
They have some pretty good stereos in crutchfield that will fit right in but they tend to be over 300 dollars. And if you install it and screw it up its on you unless you produce a receipt proving a professional install.

If your near a Best Buy they usually have $100 name brand stereos. Sometimes they do the "we install it free" trip depending on what deals they have going on at the time. Watch out tho they hide charges for dash kits, wires, caps ect wich can run another $30-$40. Still its the best route to go IMO if you want a warrenty without having to pay shipping to send stuff back. If you have them install it you will then have option to get extended warrenties on hardware, rebates or special offers on some models ect.

You still have the option to take the stereo out, carefully remove the cover and faceplate and see if its fixable. If you would be happy with a fixed light just do that. Break out the old solder gun and hook that sh*t up.

Orion2247
02-19-2007, 09:33 PM
well, it may have something to do with my light problem. Whenever the headlights come on, all the other lights lights inside go dim, and all the lights on the interior and exterior just sort of pulse with the engine when It's idling

goldz28
02-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Is your dimer switch turned down all the way? Not sure about the pulse thing.

Add your comment to this topic!