Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fixing / Testing A Starter

TommyR78
02-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Hello...

I have a 2001 SS that wouldn't start the other day. Normally I'd only have to turn the key to start and release it for it to fire up. Last week I noticed a slight hesitiation with the engine firing up completely. We're talking I'd have to hold the key to Start for a couple seconds on the second try, as opposed to it turning over instantly. I attributed this to cold weather here in Wisconsin.

The other night I got back into my car after it was parked in a parking ramp for about 3 hours and went to start it...nothing. It didn't even try to turn over, no clicking of the starter, etc. I kept trying and trying, nothing. I got out, made a phone call, and looked around/under the car for anything obvious. I got back in and it started just fine.

I replaced the battery 6 months ago, so I know it's not that. My lights and everything appear to have full power. From searching through this forum, I've got a few things to investigate.

1. the starter
2. ignition switch/cylinder
3. ignition switch wiring

Because testing the voltage on the starter is relative quick and will tell me where to look next, I'd like to start there. Problem is, I'm not the most familiar with the layout of my engine (I'm a DIY'er in training...I'm able to at least give my car a basic tuneup, change oil, etc.). So could someone direct me in the right direction as where to find it, access it, etc (i.e. will I need a car jack?). I have no problems troubleshooting electrical devices, I just need to find 'em!

Also, if anyone has more definitive advice about where to start, I'd be glad to hear more ideas!

Thanks!

Tom

wrightz28
02-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Could be a bad brush in the starter which is on the "front" of the motor bottom.

Legacy3135
02-20-2007, 04:42 PM
well what my boss did when i had that computer problem and i didnt know whats wrong he tested the started by hitting some piece of it with a screwdriver. But be careful you can get a nice shock from doing it. To know it works you would hear like a whirling sound.

Add your comment to this topic!