Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie question about racing costs

crimedoc
02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm a criminologist researching street racing/drag racing. I'm curious to know what one might spend on the high side to build a winning car. 50K? 100K? I'm interested in the costs of cars used in illegal speed contests, etc. Street legal cars, not nitro dragsters, etc. Thanks for any insights.

Mr. Luos
02-18-2007, 11:47 AM
It really depends on what you consider competing.

A 100% stock Lumina could compete nicely at bracket racing if it is comsistent. $2K out the door maybe.
If you want fast...the compete in say a heads up N/A category, it will get expensive quick. My car would be okay at that. $21K for the car and $13K in go fast mods. Many other mods as well, but I could be where I am powerwise without those.

Mine do would do pretty well on the street as well. But it goes the same there. Anything goes. Cheaper to build a fast boosted car in some cases.

Cost is probably the same. A lot of street racing goes on because of NHRA rules for a rollcage and such. A lot of street car owners don't want a cage but can go faster than 11.49 at the drag strip. Not saying they need to lower the safety requirements. I like those...they are for my safety when I race.
But I would be one of those cars that would get kicked off the track at sea level. No cage and my car would go about 10.9-11.1.

Price can be higher on either car depending on application and race series you plan on competing at.
An all out drag car will cost more than a street car though.

Add your comment to this topic!