Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'04 Rodeo's temp gauge & '02 Rodeo Sport

Ramblin Fever
02-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Took a test drive with a friend who was interested in purchasing an '04 Rodeo we found today, has 32k miles, automatic with the Asian tranny and 4x4; the engine is the 3.2L dohc Isuzu; not the 3.5L DI.

I looked over the whole engine, undercarriage before we even drove it. I was appalled to find that the air filter was BLACK, even blacker then the truck - which is also black.

Other then that, the engine compartment looked like it should - NEW; some issues I was a bit concerned about in the test drive & overview of the rest of the truck.

1. How HOT is the temp gauge supposed to get on this rig? It was well over half, to the point it made me nervous when I drove it. But, it never rose above 3/4 of the way to HOT.

My own Rodeo 3.2L sohc only gets 3/4 of the way off the C mark, less then half.

2. The transmission is a LOT different in this beast, and was great in reaction.

3. I was a bit irritated to find the dealer had replaced 3 tires, but left one oem tire on the front - is it norm for the newer Rodeo's to need new tires before 35k miles?? Reason I ask, is my Rodeo's 1st set of tires lasted 70k miles.

4. The back hatch/tailgate on this truck would NOT open, we tried everything and the lock would release the tailgate but not the glass. They said they would fix this, but I was amazed to find a 3yr old truck seemingly to be a bit rough around the edges with only supposedly 30k miles.

5. This one idled a bit rough, almost like it had a slight miss and was also almost a full quart low, though the oil looked brand-new.

6. They're asking $15k

On the same lot, we also found an '02 Rodeo Sport auto, 3.2L dohc 4x4 with the famous GM 4L30-E transmission & 54k miles.

1. This truck felt great in test drive, temp gauge completely normal, engine compartment clean with no obvious leaks.

2. Truck had almost brand-new tires in the Yok's such as my own.

3. Outside of truck didn't look a day over 2yrs of age, has the removable hard-top, 2 sunroofs, and OEM driving/fog lights.

4. This truck/engine was smooth as silk; didn't check it's air filter though.

4. Asking $11k

My friend is single with the occasional travelers, and while we did find the Rodeo Sport had plenty of rear leg room, it was a bit awkward getting into the back seat.

But, aside from the extra room that the Rodeo obviously has, which would you think to be more worth the asking price?

I liked them both, and would take the Rodeo Sport in a heartbeat, if I was in need of a smaller trail rig - but, it's not my choice.

Are their any differences in the engine of the '02 versus the '04 3.2L dohc?

I know the tranny's are different entirely, and the Rodeo has the more robust tranny for sure, but I don't truly feel a difference in either one in terms of power differences.

I do understand tires being needed before 50k as not all oem tires were as good as the ones that my Rodeo came with, and not every owner keeps them rotated/balanced, so I'm not too hung up on that.

amigo-2k
02-17-2007, 10:17 PM
If the air filter on the Rodeo was that dirty you can bet the oil changes saw the same thing (same goes for other maintenance). That is very long intervals between changes. My temp gauge runs a little to the left of the middle of the gauge.

Yes it is a little bit hard for passengers to get into the rear seat. I may use the back seat in my Amigo 6-8 times a year so it is not that big of a deal.

If your friend is looking to keep the truck for a long time +10 years I would point him towards the Amigo (It should have a little bit of the factory warranty yet).

If he is looking to keep it for 5'ish years, I would go with the Rodeo since a 4 door truck is easier to sell then a 2 door SUV.

As for Tire's, yes the 2nd gens will eat up tires up front if they are not rotated every 6k or so. The outer edge gets eaten up pretty quick

Ramblin Fever
02-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Good input!

Ok, so the temp gauge on the '04 is in fact a bit warm?

Definitely felt the Amigo was in better condition overall.

amigo-2k
02-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure if the gauge is the same on the 02 and 04 gauge clusters?

amigo-2k
02-17-2007, 11:27 PM
gotta love ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-ISUZU-RODEO-Gauge-Instrument-Cluster-B23-238_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33675QQihZ012QQitem Z220037130130QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

looks the same to me.

Ramblin Fever
02-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Hmmm, that's pretty bad to have a truck running above half and only 32k miles.

The '04 is definitely out - something about it just doesn't sit right.

Thank you for your help!

Gizmo42
02-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree with Ryan, the rodeo was definatly neglected if the air filter looked that bad. The good news on it though is the tranny could probably handle neglect better then the 4L30E. There is definatly something wrong with the temps, it should not run above 1/2. Either dirty rad, electric fan not working, or t'stat. If I was to buy it I would make them fix that as well as the hatch glass first.

The rodeo could also be an oil burner if it was neglected though thats not always the case. Mine doesnt burn oil and I know it was neglected. All fluids iin mine except engine oil were origninal with 88k miles.

If your freind can put up with the smaller 2 door then I say go for the 'migo. If more room is needed then the rodeo would probably be ok. Just make sure they fix whats wrong first and get all fluids changed.

amigo-2k
02-18-2007, 10:32 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Rodeo-4x4-LSE-2001-ISUZU-RODEO-LSE-LOADED-4X4-LOW-MILES-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6268QQihZ003QQi temZ130081691257QQrdZ1

Ramblin Fever
02-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Nice Rodeo there!

Since my friend's still undecided, I've got dibs on the Amigo. Let you know how it turns out.

surferfletch
02-19-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm wondering if it's running a little hot just due to tired coolant. Does it not lose its cooling capacity after several years. It must be coming up on 4 years old. Maybe just a good cooling system service will do it.

surferfletch
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
That eBay Rodeo looks nice. Isuzu resale sucks if you're a seller, but can be great if you're a buyer.

Gizmo42
02-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Nice rodeo in the ebay sale. Its completly the wrong color though (:icon16: have to pick on protetype, same color and year as his). The roof racks and brush guards dont blend in as well as on a black one :grinyes:

Protetypes Zu..
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/protetype/Rodeo/IMG_2245.jpg

What gets me is they are selling it for $7500 but here is what $5k worth of damage looks like (again, protetypes Zu)..
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/protetype/Rodeo/IMG_2261.jpg

Ramblin Fever
02-20-2007, 02:07 PM
You and Protetype both have nice looking Zu's!

K, the '02 Amigo has a check-up appt - if you will - with my mechanic; don't have the luxury of checking the ATF condition myself right now, this would be my only concern - if the color was dark or black.

Rest of the truck passes my inspection just fine. Friend's still undecided, so she'll probably become my other baby 'Zu!

It's a pretty green, with tan wheel-well covers, the LS model with dealer fogs. I will NOT be mounting a brush-guard on this one, maybe a bull-bar if I can find one.

This truck has too short of a wheel-base to tow anything I have here, and the Amigo is lighter then the Trooper and Rodeo, so I should *hope* to get at least as many miles out of it's tranny as I have with the Rodeo >170k/10yrs and counting!

Add your comment to this topic!