Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aoshima AVS rims

Daryl
10-02-2002, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know if the Aoshima AVS Model 5 rims are still in production? They've been taken off HLJ's inventory and hobbysearch says they're sold out :( :(
Those have to be my favourite rims ever

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-02-2002, 08:51 PM
They are likely unobtanium until the next time they produce them. I've learned that w/Aoshima rims, if you like them, get them when they're new, because they can easily disappear in a week.

I feel your pain...I was going to order 2 sets myself, my friend took the initiative to help me out and he only ordered me one set instead of two, and now they're gone again. They are definitely some of my favorites, they are going on my F355.

Jay!
10-02-2002, 09:05 PM
AF member astroracer posted a link to Machined Aluminum Specialties (http://www.mas-parts.com/) (which he owns?), that has turned aluminum + photo etched wheel sets. One struck me as being extremely similar to the AVS model 5s:

Go to: http://www.mas-parts.com/cart/phetchwhlctrsstreet.html
and scroll down to "Phasor II."

Good? Close? ;)

Daryl
10-02-2002, 09:25 PM
Question: Would the spokes on those rims be flat because they're photoetched? The real AVS 5s have curved spokes

Jay!
10-02-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Daryl
Question: Would the spokes on those rims be flat because they're photoetched? The real AVS 5s have curved spokes They would probably come flat. They may be able to be rolled a bit, so the the offset could be altered. I doubt they could be rolled in such a way as to make the spokes rounder (in a cross-section).

Veyron
10-02-2002, 09:43 PM
aluminum + photo etched wheel sets

These type wheel sets leave a lot to be desired, the flat etched designs don't look real. Someone who has resin casting skills should be knocking some of these Aoshima, Fujimi and other wheels off cause they won't be around forever.:frog:

tonioseven
10-02-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Veyron

These type wheel sets leave a lot to be desired, the flat etched designs don't look real. Someone who has resin casting skills should be knocking some of these Aoshima, Fujimi and other wheels off cause they won't be around forever.:frog: If someone would cast them, I would be willing to donate a set if they would be returned; also I have a 3/4 set of the 19" Work EQUIP 5 Spokes if there's a soul willing to cast them.:confused:

flyonthewall
10-03-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Veyron

These type wheel sets leave a lot to be desired, the flat etched designs don't look real. Someone who has resin casting skills should be knocking some of these Aoshima, Fujimi and other wheels off cause they won't be around forever.:frog:

I'd do it in a shot if it wasn't illegal or if there is a way around the legalities of it. I wonder if the rim was converted so as to fit Tamiya hubs then maybe it won't be a problem? However still haven't discovered how to produce rubber tyres.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-03-2002, 07:01 AM
I wonder if the rim was converted so as to fit Tamiya hubs then maybe it won't be a problem? However still haven't discovered how to produce rubber tyres.

If you have machining capability, or have someone who can do it, the way I'd approach this subject would be this:

Machine the inner part of the rim smooth, and machine a round mounting hole in the center. Then I would machine two styles of mounting posts that would glue to the inner wheel-one a Tamiya-style post, the other would be a Fujimi/Aoshima style cylindrical tube capable of holding the poly caps. You could make the Tamiya style mount a locating hole, and supply a length of brass or plastic rod that the builder would cut and assemble into the rim, which would be a lot stronger than a molded resin pin that might break off easily.

Basically the rims would fit any particular kit. You'd have a set of "generic" rims, and a set of mounting posts-all in resin. Give the customer both sets of mounting posts. Optionally you could even think about making the generic mounting posts as a brake disc/caliper combo, though that would be for simpler models that don't already have decent disc brakes from the kit that's being built.

The tires can be molded in hard resin as a last resort, though there are companies that make soft black urethane resin that can be used for tires. Urethane resin comes in a wide variety of colors and density from soft to solid. If you did find a source for soft black urethane, your molds could be made from solid resin, and they'd hold up a LONG time!

Jay!
10-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Also close, but not exactly right:

Pegasus "Elite" wheels:
http://www.pegasushobbies.com/resources/pics/rims/1222.gif

As for the legality, I also wonder how much of a plastic kit part has to be altered for it to be a different product...? I mean, Chris' Mugen S2000 hood is really a modified Tamiya Honda S2000 hood, right?

GTRRR
10-04-2002, 04:42 AM
I love these rims also. I have them on my GTS-T Skyline. Mine are the 19 inch Bronze rims. I would love some for my models as I want to make a replica of my car out of a Tamiya R33 GTS-T.

Daryl
10-04-2002, 07:31 AM
Is that your car in the sig?

GTRRR
10-04-2002, 07:39 AM
I wish :D

Mine is a Black R33 GTS-T with the same Rims as that one.

jaykit21
10-04-2002, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure about all this legality stuff being discussed. I don't think that casting the wheels is technically illegal (if you do it the right way). Take for example the market for real car aftermarket wheels here in the US. A company like Racing Hart or OZ will introduce a style of wheel that becomes popular. Then eventually, all of the lower-end wheel manufacturers will copy the design exactly and call them something else. They sell em' like hotcakes and they do it legally. There aren't really trademarks and patents on the way a wheel looks, only on the way they are made and on their names. So, keeping this in mind, if Chris was to 'copy' a certain wheel by a certain manufacturer, and call it for example "Fly's Model 3 wheel set", he would be ok. If he was to call it "an exact replica of Fujimi's Volk Racing so and so", he might have some issues. It all depends what name you put on it, I believe. If I am wrong, I stand corrected. Just my opinion. :D

Add your comment to this topic!