Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

B16a into 88-91 crx ??????

purespeed187
10-02-2002, 04:51 PM
hey i am planning on buying a crx and i intend on bolting in a b16a motor what i want to know is what is the cheapest way to so this.
should i buy a si or buy the cheaper model and pay a few extra hundred for the transplant. plus how much does it usually cost to get the engine and to get it proffesionally installed.

Tominos
10-02-2002, 08:54 PM
just buy the cheapest crx. i think you will need wiring harness anyway, the b16a doesn't seem to be a straight bolt in for the crx. i am pretty sure that you need a special mount kit. b16a first generation should run about 1150+ at hondamotorsonline.com, and for install, local shops here charge about 800.

Fishcat37
10-04-2002, 04:21 PM
I would recommend against getting a DX CRX however. You can still put a B16 into the DX, but since the DX is DPFI, and the B16 is a MPFI motor, you will need to convert to MPFI, and i think that you will need a whole new wiring harness. If you buy an HF or an Si, you will just need to add 4 wires plus a gound (knock, 2nd O2, VTEC solenoid, oil pressure switch) to the stock harness since both of those models came with MPFI. do a search, and you will find all the info that you ever needed to create yourself a B16 CRX. :cool:

TrailerParkJake
10-14-2002, 12:20 PM
hf will be the lightest of the bunch and has mpfi already, and you can pretty much transfer that harness straight across to the b16(adding the 4 others like was previously said of course) One downfall to the hx though is the fact you gotta swap out the steering knuckles for those of a civic/crx si or dx so the axles will fit in the hub, its pretty simple though.

teg2nd
10-14-2002, 06:16 PM
First gen. B16A has two O2 sensors?

Add your comment to this topic!