Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya Open Interface Toms SC430 at nuremberg

mbwoods
02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
according to Tamiya's website quoted to the Toms SC430:-

1/24 Sports Car Series No.293 * Overall length: 193mm * High-quality assembly kit model of the 2006 Super GT Championship-winning Open Interface Tom's SC430. * Full racing cockpit complete with roll cage, bucket seat, and other race equipment realistically reproduced. * Resin under-panel features a metal insert for additional weight and realism.

note the last line it says:-
Resin under-panel features a metal insert for additional weight and realism.

make a note guys, there is no diecast metal chassis the most people have moned here in AF, now Tamiya must have heard and replaced it with a resin chassis, so what do u think guys?

klutz_100
02-15-2007, 10:28 PM
I think that I am totally confused as to why chassis (resin, plastic or die-cast) get so much of everyone's attention :D

Having said that, I do admire their creativity in finding YET ANOTHER way to piss everyone off - wow! multi-media chassis! :lol:

Wonder what will be next....balsa wood?...plastecine?....

;)

mbwoods
02-15-2007, 10:48 PM
if Tamiya wanted to put weight into the models i wonder why use a metal chassis when they can use small metal blocks in the boot and the engine(if its curbside) as they do with model locos, with older locos where the motor is at one end encased in plastic and has a metal block in the middle for weight, nowadays motor in centered encased in 2 metal blocks.

that would have been a better idea and makes the underside more realistic.

Veyron
02-16-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm wondering if 'resin' is a term they are using for plastic....since this is the first time we've seen Tamiya use the term, it could mean anything.

mbwoods
02-16-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm wondering if 'resin' is a term they are using for plastic....since this is the first time we've seen Tamiya use the term, it could mean anything.

we'll see once the kit is released next month

Enzoenvy1
02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I am confused on this too. Why is it so important to have a metal chassis? I got one with my SLR and was actually disappointed because I can't make the under tray out of pieces put together. If you want your model to be heavy, throw some lead shot in the trunk or hide it in the fenders or something?!?!?!?!

Vric
02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
cool... they found a way to rise the price of their kit again !

Bring on the 4500Yen curbside kit !

mbwoods
02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
cool... they found a way to rise the price of their kit again !

Bring on the 4500Yen curbside kit !

nope its only 3200 yen according to HLJ here: http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM24293

but Tamiya website says 3400 yen, both similar prices to the NSX 2005 GT cars

Vric
02-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I was sarcastic...

pawlie
02-16-2007, 05:35 PM
If you're annoyed by the price of Tamiya's curbside kits, try buying a Studio27 or Model Factory Hiro kit that costs 20,000 yen and doesn't actually fit together very well :(

Vric
02-16-2007, 06:45 PM
If you're annoyed by the price of Tamiya's curbside kits, try buying a Studio27 or Model Factory Hiro kit that costs 20,000 yen and doesn't actually fit together very well :(
I do buy resin kit. I accept to pay this price because there is no solution, because they are limited and they are hand made. Not perfect, but I do appreciate resin kit.

As for Tamiya, there is no reason why their kit now cost near the double of what they costed 5 years ago.

cyberkid
02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
From the pic at hlj it looks like this model won't even have an interior. :shakehead
But strangely enough on the Tamiya site it says "Clear window parts feature black masking stickers to recreate tinted effect."
I just prey that Tamiya won't sink to a level where there aren't any interiors in their kits.:disappoin
Strangely enough, I can get most of the latest kits from Tamiya at around 25-30us when the first come at my lhs..I think they are losing customers here in Taiwan.. The model prices are dropping fast after they are released. The Peugeot 307 WRC is now around 26 which can be bargained to around 24 or 25us, when it came out it was around..37us

blubaja
02-16-2007, 08:41 PM
From the pic at hlj it looks like this model won't even have an interior. :shakehead
But strangely enough on the Tamiya site it says "Clear window parts feature black masking stickers to recreate tinted effect."
I just prey that Tamiya won't sink to a level where there aren't any interiors in their kits.:disappoin

That's just a mock up dude. Protoype to show us all they weren't joking about making the kit.

I'd rather have the diecast chassis, other than the resin. But I like the diecast chassis. Especially on race cars like this, that tend to have a mostly flat undertray. And theres also much less chance of warpage.

generationx
02-17-2007, 05:09 AM
For some reason this year Tamiya have picked up the word "Resin" instead of "Plastic". I have recently built the R/C F-350 which claims to have a resin body, but it looks, feels and handles like the regular injection-moulded plastic to me...
Not to worry about the 'R' word here I think. I have nothing against resin kits (I've done a couple and they've always been fun) but I think Tamiya have just got some translation issues!

desmo16
02-17-2007, 08:01 AM
I do buy resin kit. I accept to pay this price because there is no solution, because they are limited and they are hand made. Not perfect, but I do appreciate resin kit.

As for Tamiya, there is no reason why their kit now cost near the double of what they costed 5 years ago.

Good point. In addition...
Why does Tamiya insist on releasing racing subjects that have little or no relevance outside of Japan? I don't buy that Japan is their main market... Tamiya has a global presence, and should think globally in terms of their subject matter. So, they can triple their prices as far as I am concerned, with or without plastic/metal/resin, etc undertray, but they are getting less and less (actually almost zero) of my money because their automotive subject matter is, well, crap really (I have had enough of their re-releases). And, as for licensing issues: rubbish-Revell has managed to deal with the supposed exorbitant fees wanted by Audi, and other manufacturers have done the same. In fact, Tamiya does release pretty decent subjects in RC, so they must have the necessary legal clearance, but has given up, it seems, on scale model auto subjects that are globally appealing. Where are the WRC, DTM, and sportscars? Example: make one Audi A4 DTM,C-Class mould, Porsche 996 GT3-R, or Ferrari 360, 550 or 575 GT cars and let the aftermarket decals and parts increase the sales tenfold! And, if it costs extra for licensing, who cares if the sales opportunities increase exponentially because of all the possible variants...Who are the clowns that do the demographic studies? They must be following the US automakers' business model these days:good move!
Weekend rant over!
Michael

willimo
02-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't buy that Japan is their main market...

:eek:

Add your comment to this topic!