Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Bravada Dimmimg Lights

GregCH
02-14-2007, 02:49 PM
From a cold start, voltmeter reading drops to approx. 50% of typical reading, headlights dim, dash lights dim, odometer reading dims, gas guage flucuates (immediately above voltmeter), other guage readings do not appear impacted, engine RPM's no change. Diagnostics show all OK. Battery is new. Alternator is 3 months old. After vehicle warms up, all is OK. Any ideas?

Chris Stewart
02-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Any heating devices on like seat warmers, heated mirrors or rear window defrost?

GregCH
02-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Any heating devices on like seat warmers, heated mirrors or rear window defrost?

Seat heaters - not equipped.
Heated mirror - automatic based on outside temperature - appear to be working properly.
Rear window defrost - did not use this morning and had the same problem.

llopez
02-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm not a mechanic but here are my thoughts:
1. Is alternator putting out 12+ (14.3 if I remember correctly) volts? Hook a voltmeter up to the 1 bolt sticking out of the alternator with the fat wire attached to it (at 12 oclock if you are looking at the back of the alternator)
2. Short? If the alternator is putting out the juice, try pulling accessory fuses out (shut car off first, pull fuse, start vehicle) see which circuit is causing this.

I can't think that anything is causing a severe draw or it would likely pop the fuse so I would have to think your 3mth alternator is likely the culprit - What does it take to pull it and bring it in to the auto parts store - 10min? My .02

Chris Stewart
02-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm not a mechanic but here are my thoughts:
1. Is alternator putting out 12+ (14.3 if I remember correctly) volts? Hook a voltmeter up to the 1 bolt sticking out of the alternator with the fat wire attached to it (at 12 oclock if you are looking at the back of the alternator)
2. Short? If the alternator is putting out the juice, try pulling accessory fuses out (shut car off first, pull fuse, start vehicle) see which circuit is causing this.

I can't think that anything is causing a severe draw or it would likely pop the fuse so I would have to think your 3mth alternator is likely the culprit - What does it take to pull it and bring it in to the auto parts store - 10min? My .02

Good thinking LL, I agree about the alternator, you should have good voltage with everything including the headlights on with the engine idling.

Add your comment to this topic!