Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Popping in front suspension

TripleBlackBlazer
02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
2000 S10 Blazer
4WD
70k miles
2nd owner

When going over bumps, manhole covers, etc. in the road, I hear a popping noise coming from the (mostly left) front suspension. Mechanic brother seems to think it's the hub bearing but he's a whole state away and is only going by what I describe. I only hear it when the system goes into the 'down' or the 'release' position, i.e. I won't hear it when the suspension is compressed, only when it lets out. Conversely, when going over a hole or manhole cover, I hear the noise when the system drops, but not on the way up. Any ideas? My guess is it needs new shocks up front/possibly a loose mount?

Thanks,
GLD

luckymanz
02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Bad shocks and shock bushings can be the cause, however, I had a similar noise and it turned out to be the front stabilzer bar bushings. They were completely rotted away and the bar was hitting the frame. While you are in the area, check the condition of the stabilizer end link bushings, upper control arm and lower control arm bushings. If they are rotted or weak, this could cause the arms to move back and forth.

muddog321
02-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Common is lower ball joints on 4wds - See if greasing helps first - originals always go between 60-80k miles. Uppers last much longer cause much less load. If you jack it up to unload the lower grease will get into the mating area. After that yep could be sway bar, brakes, hubs, torsion bars, A-arm bushings, the simple hood washer (yes that clunks/pops and look in Tech/How to section), etc.

1996LTOwner
02-15-2007, 06:30 PM
I had the sway bar bracket on the lower right control arm broken. Would make a popping sound when hitting bumps. If U change the lower ball joints, make sure you don't get the cheap ones. I tried that and ended up re-replacing them less than two months later.

Add your comment to this topic!