Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Some thing I'd thought I'd share.

AllAlone.Gz
02-13-2007, 06:23 AM
This guy has restored faith in my building! It seems that these builders are given models and build them to their desires. This was the only Automotive one I found, but man does this man have skill!

Anyway just something I'd thought I'd share.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yudxbS5vRa4

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMQ-9s1DNU

Enjoy!

Veyron
02-13-2007, 07:02 AM
He has skills....but spraying his models in that open room with no spray booth makes him a rank idiot.

AllAlone.Gz
02-13-2007, 07:16 AM
LOL! Yea, I was thinkin the same about the spray booth, but the more episodes i watched, it looked like most japanese builders dont use spray booths.Only 2 out of the 8 people I saw used booths.

klutz_100
02-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Hmm...that was a bit of an eye opener for me.

Does everyone else have a similar painting technique with cans and ABs?

I've never seen anyone else painting before. I always get stressed out and treat everything like it was the crown jewels. I paint from further away, use longer (more wasteful) bursts.

This guy was speedy, short bursts and.....almost sort of chaotic. Butsince his final results were obviously 10 times better than mine, I can only assume he's "right" and I'm "wrong" :lol:

So how does his style compare to say Cadguy's, Veyron's, Micha's, Gio"s etc? I'd love to hear your comments. Are there any other films out there showing techniques?

Vric
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
For the clear spraycan, I paint just like this guy... For airbrush, I must say I'm much slower than him.

bhop73
02-13-2007, 01:52 PM
I pretty much paint like him too.. no time to waste.. heh, heh I wear a respirator though since I don't want to die or coat my lungs with paint.

fwdfreak
02-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Gotta agree with Vric.
But I'd say nothing TOO spectacular in his building tehniques and so on, didn't see anything new or amazing.
I do like his airbrush tho

rod_k2
02-14-2007, 03:43 AM
But since his final results were obviously 10 times better than mine, I can only assume he's "right" and I'm "wrong" :lol:
Meh,don't care :p. Think like me: It's the polyurethane clear coat. It's from a japanease brand. Ours is from a different brand,that why the result is different! :naughty: :p :rofl:

gionc
02-14-2007, 04:26 AM
I'm surprised by the polishing way he done: I'm pretty sure that those scooby would be full of thin scratch, looking from a close distance: he still using an hard and "violent" way to polish with wide movements. Yes the result seem good from a shitty camera but he done a lot of things against the "normal" way, for example masters reccomend to use airbrush with wide movemets ever from outside the subject, seem he's doing a german WWII cmouflage LOL

BTW the thing that surprised me more is that he spry in the room without booth, he dress a mask only with uretanic that smell less than a TS primer or laquer... pretty comic: surprised also he's stillalive at his age LOL

also seem some japan guy like good food LOL

itrgtr
02-14-2007, 07:52 PM
that's pretty cool!

chato de shamrock
02-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Watcha talkin' bout willis??? :sly: I also never use spray booths.

What caught my eye was spraying in a closed room and only used a mask one time. It looked sorta misty in there.

I also thought he was rubbing on the compound a bit rough, or am I just doing it too softly with my models? However, I did like the end result. Maybe I should start rubbing that hard. The way I do it just gets a small mirror shine.

My way of painting is long strokes from one end of the model to the other end. I back the model up about, hmm, i'd say two or three more inches. But its still closer than what many of you guys say you distance your model from your aerosol/airbrush.

AllAlone.Gz
02-15-2007, 04:36 AM
If you look at the viewers other videos (click on his name on the side. His name is TMBountyHunter, or just type it in on the search bar) he has more videos where modelers build gundams, tanks, and dioramas. Theres this guy called Plamo Maestro, and hes got some scratch, technical, and painting skills. I want to see more of this show. Anyone can translate what this show is called?

CeeElle
02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
how does he build a model in 20 minutes?

:lol:

hompe
02-15-2007, 10:24 AM
hehe he really uses a different technice than med i always have my models on the bench when i work on them! he has the in his hand :shakehead

bhop73
02-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Wow. I'm amazed that you guys find this guy's techniques surprising. They seem pretty normal to me.. The polishing looks rough, but if you're using the right grain of sandpaper, I don't see how it's any different from small movements other than covering more area.

As far as a spray booth goes, Just because it's not in the camera doesn't mean there's not one. I can't imagine anyone, especially a professional level modeler like the ones from this series, would be dumb enough to spray lacquers in a closed room.

racer917
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm surprised by the polishing way he done: I'm pretty sure that those scooby would be full of thin scratch, looking from a close distance: he still using an hard and "violent" way to polish with wide movements. Yes the result seem good from a shitty camera but he done a lot of things against the "normal" way, for example masters reccomend to use airbrush with wide movemets ever from outside the subject, seem he's doing a german WWII cmouflage LOL

BTW the thing that surprised me more is that he spry in the room without booth, he dress a mask only with uretanic that smell less than a TS primer or laquer... pretty comic: surprised also he's stillalive at his age LOL

also seem some japan guy like good food LOL

aahhh, 'mon gionc,
You make it sound like there's ONLY one way of painting/polishing. Obviously he's found what works for him. You can ask 20 people and get 20 different answers. You need to find what works for you and not limit yourself to what the "masters" recommend. Maybe he IS a master.

pirata12
02-16-2007, 01:23 AM
Some things I've learned and some questions...

- I spray like that too! Fast and no sparay booth. But I have ventilation. Clearly this isn't the way to go?

- Now I've seen how weathering should be done. Never actually seen it. (Can someone do a video of how to panel line?)

- Why would you clear coat and polish a model that you will weather so heavily and hence try to reproduce a rough finish as mud would in real life?

- How does he get the airbrush to spray so finely (he gave the exhaust a small shot without covering the whole back of the car!!)? - (I have an Iwata)

Final note. I agree with a lot of your comments. He has his way of working and it works for him. I wish I could replicate his way of 'nothing groundbreaking'. For us newbie's this was a huge lesson and extremely helpful!
Thanks for sharing this!!

gtidude
02-16-2007, 04:14 AM
i think hes only 13 years old...hence small room, no booth

AllAlone.Gz
02-16-2007, 04:37 AM
13 years old? He looks older. Well anyway, maybe he used a booth off cameras. He did have this thing when he was spraying the body that resembled a booth. But who knows. So has anyone made out what the programs name is? I want to see more builds by this guy. He specializes in scale model cars. The others in the videos, specialize in dioramas, WWII vehicles, and gundam figures. You guys should watch the rest of the videos.

bhop73
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
i think hes only 13 years old...hence small room, no booth

That's pretty rediculous...

Japan = small rooms for the most part. How many 13 years olds do you know with facial hair? Add to that his Japanese heritage (generally takes longer to grow facial hair, at least it does for my friends), plus they show him driving a car in the beginning.

I don't know for sure, but i'd be willing to bet money that all the modelers in these videos are professional.

rsxse240
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
- Why would you clear coat and polish a model that you will weather so heavily and hence try to reproduce a rough finish as mud would in real life?

does your real car get dirty? when you clean it does it not still shine brightly? if you want realism for weathering, why not do it as in real life?

besides, you NEED a clear coat to get the decals to adhere without silvering. then you need to seal the decal to the paint with another coat of clear, although, vinyl graphics are generally more of a semi gloss, or just not as shiny as paint. I saw, some years ago in SAE, that it's more accurate to NOT clear coat your nascar decals for this reason.

as for the paint booth, who needs one? if you don't care about all the other stuff in your room, like your computer, other built models, your lungs, why even bother with a spray booth? haha

I don't care for his spray technique, but it works for him, so I'm not going to complain about it, it obviously works.

scribing panel lines is easy. I generally use the back of a #11 blade that has had the tip broken off, or a new one if the lines are very fine.

-Ken

rod_k2
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
- How does he get the airbrush to spray so finely (he gave the exhaust a small shot without covering the whole back of the car!!)? - (I have an Iwata)
I think his airbrush is a tamiya HG super fine Airbrush. Or an HG fine one. It sprays verrrry thin lines. I think it's not apropriated to these models. I think they're better to do some graphics,paint some little stuff. It would be quite hard to paint a body,

bhop73
02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I think his airbrush is a tamiya HG super fine Airbrush. Or an HG fine one. It sprays verrrry thin lines. I think it's not apropriated to these models. I think they're better to do some graphics,paint some little stuff. It would be quite hard to paint a body,

I use an Iwata Eclipse, which is similar to Tamiya brushes.. (actually, Iwata makes Tamiya's brushes) I did this test to show someone once that you can get fine or wide spray with the brush. Personally, I think these brushes work great for all applications.

http://www.bhop73.com/stuff/iwata/airbrushspray.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!