Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gvr4 smoke and idle problem

gsr/gvr4
02-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Hi all new to this site and hope you can help me.
I have a gvr4 with a terrible smoke problem. It seems white out the exhaust and appears to have traces of water there. I have replaced rings recently because compression was too low in one cylinder. I have a cometic triple layer head gasket and seems to be ok because compression is now 150 psi accross all 4 cylinders. Car has not really been driven since this as the amount of smoke pouring out scares me. Seems to smoke more when temperature reaches normal and has a rough wandering idle. Also have oil on 1st cylinder spark plugs. Any help would be appreciated.
Current mods:
Big 16g turbo
After market front mount I/C
Walbro 190 fuel pump
AFPR
K&N Pod Filter
3" GM MAF (Blow Through)
MAFT
Stainless 2.5" I/C Plumbing
Stainless tubular exhaust manifold
3" Exhaust system
Turbosmart V Port type 2 BOV vented to atmosphere

To Be Installed:
510 cc evo 3 injectors
SAFC2
AEM Wideband A/F meter
Turbosmart MBC

gthompson97
02-13-2007, 01:14 AM
What year?

gsr/gvr4
02-13-2007, 01:16 AM
This is a 91 1g motor and I'm pretty sure its a 6 bolt. 4g63

gthompson97
02-13-2007, 02:29 AM
When you say oil in cylinder number 1, does that mean the plugs look like they're burning oil, or you have a bad valve cover spark plug gasket that's leaking onto the plug?

gsr/gvr4
02-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Going to replace/inspect valve cover gasket tomorrow. Thanks for your help I'll keep you posted. Also, how does the ECU know when your in closed loop? Does the SAS (closed throttle switch) come into the equation? how do I check this?

Thor06
02-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Well, theres not a lot of question to me that you are burning coolant somewhere, its just finding it. Obvious place would be at the head gasket, but you said you have good compression? Are you sure about that, did you remember to release the pressure before trying a different cylinder (I did that once, pissed me off a bit, ha ha)? Did you have the head planed when you put in the Cometic HG? My two other guesses are the turbo or maybe the TB but I guess I have never really heard of a bad TB putting coolant into the engine.

I guess my best guess is that A) you have a faulty reading or two going on, or B) the head wasnt surfaced before you put in the Cometic and its sealing, but not well enough on one of the water channels and thats leaking.

gsr/gvr4
02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Great advise thor06, I have checked the throttle body, appears OK, the turbo is brand new. I will pull the head off this weekend and have a machine shop look at it, I was trying to avoid this though as I didn't want to replace the hg unless it was absolutely necessary. If you guys can think of anything else worth checking before I rip the head off I would really appreciate this. Compression is definitely 150psi accross all cylinders, Ive checked this a few times now. Anyway I'm off to work now, will reply any responses in 8Hrs time.
Thanks again for your help.

gthompson97
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
When you put the head back on, I suggest going with a stock HG from a Mitsu dealer. No sense trying to work with getting that Cometic to seal if you don't need. it.

gsr/gvr4
03-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Im back, seems I got it smoking alot less during idle. retorqued head and cleaned throttle body. will take it for a test run tomorrow. Thanx for your help. Not the end of my problems though, noticed on my logger that timing at idle is at 23 and ISC at 20%. Cant find the grounding plug to correct this as this used to be a NA gsr motor originally and wiring loom has been replaced. Can I do this at the ECU and if so how. I believe it is a red/yellow wire. Can anyone confirm this or provide a site which has this info. TPS is at 12.5% is this close enough? Sorry if my questions seem stupid but it is my first time tuning and Im still learning.

Thanx again.

gsr/gvr4
05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Just thought I'd let you know that my timing belt was a tooth or so off, should solve the remaining problems. Then off to the dyno for a tune. I will try to tune myself and aim for an air/fuel ratio of 11:1 on my wide band once I install it.

Add your comment to this topic!