Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 chevy blazer, 4x4 wont engage

jeff125
02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
my blazers front differential wont engage for some reason. i have replaced the cable that pulls the defferential to engage and that didnt work. the driveshaft turns and the transfer case is working. the lights come on and everything. i can hear a noise when i put it in 4wd but it doesnt work. does anyone have An idea of what is wrong? even a pic of how the front differential comes together would help b4 i start to tear into it and f somthing up.

mjtr21
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I have the same problem but there are many possiblities here. First it could be something electrical: TCCM behind passenger kick panel, Encoder motor on transfer case, or Switch on dash. Then it could be a vacuum problem: Vacuum lines could have leaks, vacuum actuator could have a tear, or vacuum switch could be switching. If it is none of these then it is most likely something wrong with the front differential.

jeff125
02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
the vacuum deffenatly works. mine is lifted and the cable goin to the differential to the vacuum line got streched one time so i replaced it that wasnt the prob but to keep it from pulling to far agian i moved the vacuum side of the cable could that be a prob? and like i said i can hear everything engage but nothing happens. i was thinking it might be the fork that pulls the gear or what ever is bent or somthing. does that make sence or does that not happen? i am pretty sure the electrical side of things are working.

MT-2500
02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
the vacuum deffenatly works. mine is lifted and the cable goin to the differential to the vacuum line got streched one time so i replaced it that wasnt the prob but to keep it from pulling to far agian i moved the vacuum side of the cable could that be a prob? and like i said i can hear everything engage but nothing happens. i was thinking it might be the fork that pulls the gear or what ever is bent or somthing. does that make sence or does that not happen? i am pretty sure the electrical side of things are working.

Floor shift or push button on 4W.
Raise it up and put saftey stands under it and feel or spin front tires to see if front axel is locking in good.
When you turn the tire on one side the other side tire should turn to if locked in.

jeff125
02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
it is a push button. it lights up. um i lifted it (like 20x) and tried to figure it out but nothing. the tires dont lock in. i have tried to spin them and hold one to engage it and tons of shit. i am 75% sure it is in the differential. do u no if i have to pull the tire off the car and what not so i have enogh room or do i can i just break it apart and fix it like that? thanks for your help also.

MT-2500
02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
it is a push button. it lights up. um i lifted it (like 20x) and tried to figure it out but nothing. the tires dont lock in. i have tried to spin them and hold one to engage it and tons of shit. i am 75% sure it is in the differential. do u no if i have to pull the tire off the car and what not so i have enogh room or do i can i just break it apart and fix it like that? thanks for your help also.

To get inside to it.
Yes you will have to remove wheel and uncouple the ball joint and right spindle and remove right side axle.
Just watch how it comes apart so you can get it back together.
Look around on here.
There even may be a how to on it.
There is several post with same problem.
Make sure your actuator and cable is working good first thing.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gear Grinder
03-21-2007, 06:38 AM
:2cents: Been there....Sounds like the 4w engagemnet gear or shifting fork in the carrier assembly has broken. What happens is the vacuum shifting cable doesn't or hasn't completely disengaged the 4w gear that locks the axles to the carrier. Maybe you have heard a whiring sound in the past and didn't know what it was. Possably, you or the previous owner noticed a loud clunk moments after the 4wd was switched out. Either way, damage is being created to the gear. No matter, you'll have to most likely remove the carrier assembly to do the job right, (clean out the broken debis that may have migrated into the case). You can pull off the right side axle and tube to look see, if that's what happened. I have documentation and pics on the assembly. You can also go to the library and check out Chilton's General Motors repair manual #8139 covering years 1983-95 Blazer/Jimmy ect. It has a complete break down plus wiring and vacuum diagrams.

JaVeRo
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
This thread may have the information you are looking for toward the end with a couple of pictures. (I always like pictures)

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=671487

Add your comment to this topic!