Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Alero 2.4L cuts out at 4k rpm

toyfan420
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
2000 Alero 2.4L automatic. Engine will not rev past 4000 rpm, and is consistent about it. Seems to idle fine. No check engine light. I am going to change the fuel filter, and it is due for new plugs and a wireset. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with their 4 cylinder N-Body. How are the fuel pumps in these cars? Prone to failure? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

xeroinfinity
02-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Welcome to AF.

Sounds like a tune up might help.
Plugs & the boots, as it doesnt have wires.

Changing the fuel filter may also help.
As far as fuel pumps go,
my GA SE(n-body) has a little over 175k miles on the original pump.

Also if you are in Park or Neutral the engine will not go over 3-4k rpms.
Its a safty feature :rolleyes:

hope that helps!

toyfan420
02-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Welcome to AF.

Also if you are in Park or Neutral the engine will not go over 3-4k rpms.
Its a safty feature :rolleyes:

hope that helps!

I suppose I should have mentioned that the car was in park. Boy, do I fell stupid. I have owned this car for 5 years, and I never noticed that particular "safety feature." :uhoh:

The car wouldn't start due to a loose battery terminal, and in the course of screwing around with it to figure out what was wrong, I thought that I had discovered another (more disturbing) problem. I guess the problem was with GM's engineers! :screwy: At any rate, fuel filter and boots will be changed (guess I already changed the plugs, as there are Bosch Platinums in there, and obviously not OEM).

Thank you SO MUCH, as I was ready to start pulling my hair out. Turns out that the transmission pan is leaking and a strut mount is banging around too, so I guess I'll be busy. I really wish that GM could figure out how to build a more reliable car. Oh well... Thanks again!

xeroinfinity
02-13-2007, 07:53 PM
It is called the "rev" limiter, keeping the rpms down to keep you from killing the engine. :grinyes:

I dont know if the car is the problem with GM or that some people, not meaning you, dont take very good care of their automobiles at all.
I know people that Never change the oil, just add more :screwy:

Its probley time for a fluid & filter change on the trans anyways. They do leak after about 80-90k miles.

Glad to help

Add your comment to this topic!