Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dealer Logo Removal?

polarzak
02-12-2007, 09:18 AM
How can one remove the dealer logo they put on new cars.
It is not the decal kind, but the chrome (perhaps chromed plastic) kind that seems to have a 1/8 thick foam on the back, and then this is glued to the car.
I don't want to advertise for these jerks.
Thanks.

HotZ28
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Heat it with a hair dryer until it is good and warm and then peel it off. You may still have some sticky stuff left on the paint that can be removed with mineral spirits or bug & tar remover.
Good Luck!

polarzak
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Heat it with a hair dryer until it is good and warm and then peel it off. You may still have some sticky stuff left on the paint that can be removed with mineral spirits or bug & tar remover.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the quick reply, however, will this work for the stiff chrome type logo. Mine is not the thin decal type, but similar to the real chrome Lucerne name on the trunk.

Thanks.

HotZ28
02-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Yes, it probably uses something similar to 3M trim tape to secure it to the body. Enough heat and persuasion will eventually remove it. I always remove them from new cars, regardless of the dealer/buyer relationship! One thing I use, is a plastic putty knife wrapped with masking tape & then insert behind the chrome, to pry it off.

polarzak
02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Thank you, Sir. I will give it a try.

polarzak
02-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Noticed several other Lucernes today, and on the trunk of them all on the left side was BUICK and on the right side LUCERNE. It looks like my dealer removed the BUICK mark, and replaced it with their name. Now I wonder if the original BUICK was attached by drilled holes, and the dealers logo is stuck to the paint and covering the holes. As much as I hate the dealer logo, I would hate to remove their ugly logo, only to have a couple of gaping holes. Can't see from inside the trunk if there are hole. Anybody know if the trunk might have holes?

Thanks.

Loekee75
02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Noticed several other Lucernes today, and on the trunk of them all on the left side was BUICK and on the right side LUCERNE. It looks like my dealer removed the BUICK mark, and replaced it with their name. Now I wonder if the original BUICK was attached by drilled holes, and the dealers logo is stuck to the paint and covering the holes. As much as I hate the dealer logo, I would hate to remove their ugly logo, only to have a couple of gaping holes. Can't see from inside the trunk if there are hole. Anybody know if the trunk might have holes?

Thanks.
I'd say that having holes from the emblems/ decals on a new car is unlikely. Every decal I've seen is stuck on with 3m double sided tape. Do you see if there are any holes on the other side of the trunk?

BNaylor
02-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I've debadged alot of GM cars through the years and all I've seen is the 3M type adhesive on the emblems. Another way to remove them after applying heat with hair dryer or pro type heat gun is to use dental floss. Doesn't damage the finish.

polarzak
02-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks all, for the replies. Well, there were no holes in the trunk. I heated the dealer logo with my daughter's blow dryer and used dental floss, (Thanks bnaylor) and it came off.

Add your comment to this topic!