86 Park 3.8L Service Engine Soon Light Flicks

scoutermike
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi first time posting here, I am having a problem with my 86 Park, the Service Engine soon light has for the last few days been coming on and then off. The car hasn't been driving any different except for the light coming on and then off. I am thinking I can't get the code from it since it doesn't stay on and when I turn the car on it never stays on. Today the car has a real problem now, it goes for about 12 minutes before the Service Engine light goes on and off fast and the car wants to stall and then it wants to go again and then it dies. I can turn the car off and then back on and it runs fine no lights on. Any ideas?

Thanks

wrightz28
02-13-2007, 05:18 PM
The OBD I system is a farily 'simple' computer system. By default of that token, if the trouble code the ECM sets after seeing a condition that activates the SES light is not constant, it usually will not flash. This is called a 'soft' code and can usually be caught during a live data stream test which unfortunately requires the use of scanner.

However, with the key being the motor spouttering/stalling, I would deem it something detremental to the air/fuel mix. When was the last time that basic Pm wrokr was done (plugs , iwres, filters, and O2 sensor?)

scoutermike
02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I bought a new TPS for the car and it runs a lot smoother but it didn't solve the problem. The car starts fine and I can drive it for about 15-20min and then it wants to speed up and then slow down and then dies. I am thinking it might be the MAP sensor or the IAT sensor because the car runs normal and then after sometime it goes all jumpy and dies. Then I can turn it off and then on again and it runs fine. So I am thinking a sensor is heating up and going out of range and then shutting down.

The plugs aren't very old nor the wires. Oxg sensor has been replaced.

scoutermike
08-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I got it fixed two months ago, it was the computer gone, swapped in a junk yard one and wow the car has never worked this good.

Add your comment to this topic!