Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 Olds cutlass Stalls when in drive

Belin
02-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I was driving friends home from the airport yesterday and when we came to a stop my 86 olds stalled. i can start it back up and have it idle all day but when i put it in drive it stalls. i was able to get home because when i put it in reverse it was able to run, then back in drive and it ran fine for about 10 min. then at a stop closer to home it stalled again. i had to wait a about 10-15 min before it would let me put it in drive again without stalling. it idles fine in park and neutral. but when i put it in drive it stalls immediatly. even if i give it a little gas and shift from neutral to drive. any ideas?

tweakerxp
02-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Hmm, sounds like a problem I have intermittently when I reverse. Someone mentioned to me that it could be the TCC lockup solenoid.

xeroinfinity
02-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Welcome to AF Belin.

this does sound like a tcc gone bad.
Its located in the transmission.
Sometimes they can be replaced without removing the whole transmission.

Here is a link (http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/aa011703a.htm)you can read through and see if it pertains to your specific year or transmission.

Mrbizness1
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Hmm, sounds like a problem I have intermittently when I reverse. Someone mentioned to me that it could be the TCC lockup solenoid.

If you are referring to the torque converter clutch (TCC) If your shift lever has 2 drive ranges (D) and D use the first D. This will prevent the TCC clutch from engaging. Some GM cars have a plug on the side of the trans you can unplug or a fuse you can remove that will prevent it from going into overdrive. What motor is in the car?
Try moving the shift lever to a lower gear before you slow down, this will force it out of overdrive.

tweakerxp
02-15-2007, 11:47 AM
This should really be able to help you out. This is likely what's happening to you as well as me. I just don't know where to get the part here in Canada.

http://www.mytempdir.com/1217218

Add your comment to this topic!