Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Firebird Won't Start

gophercollectables
02-11-2007, 04:23 PM
89 Firebird, 305 engine, 5.0 litre, automatic

When you turn the key, nothing really happens, but there is a clicking at the starter relay and at the vapor canister. The battery is fine, and all cables to it are tight. We bought a new relay from AutoZone and installed it, but the car still will not even attempt to turn over. There is still a clicking in the vapor canister. Does anybody know what the problem may be? Thanks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Morley
02-11-2007, 05:00 PM
The relay at the vapor cannister is supposed to energize with the key on, but it has no relation to the starter turning over. Is your security light on all of the time when the key is on? If so you have a VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) problem. If not, read on.
Go to your local auto parts store and get a remote starter switch. This is a push button switch (heavy duty) with leads that you hook up at the starter (it will have directions with it). Turn the key on and hit the remote switch. If the car cranks over you need to check the starter enable relay. This is located behind the driver side kick panel. Bypass it and see if the car will start/crank with the key. If it does, replace the relay. If it still won't start, remove the shifter knob and the shifter cover plate. Mounted on the shifter bracket is the park/neutral switch. If this has gone bad (I've seen this happen) or if it has somehow shifted position it will cause your problem.

gophercollectables
02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
The relay at the vapor cannister is supposed to energize with the key on, but it has no relation to the starter turning over. Is your security light on all of the time when the key is on? If so you have a VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) problem. If not, read on.
Go to your local auto parts store and get a remote starter switch. This is a push button switch (heavy duty) with leads that you hook up at the starter (it will have directions with it). Turn the key on and hit the remote switch. If the car cranks over you need to check the starter enable relay. This is located behind the driver side kick panel. Bypass it and see if the car will start/crank with the key. If it does, replace the relay. If it still won't start, remove the shifter knob and the shifter cover plate. Mounted on the shifter bracket is the park/neutral switch. If this has gone bad (I've seen this happen) or if it has somehow shifted position it will cause your problem.

It was my starter enable relay in the kick panel. Thanks alot for your help!

jeff84red
03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I am having the same issue with mine except I have a five speed. HE car will start fine, shut it off and then I turn the key and nothing. Wait a few minutes and it starts.

ponchonutty
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Jeff, sounds like you may have the VATS security issue there. Does the security light come on and start blinking when this happens?

jeff84red
03-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Update: I traced this down to a broken wire leading to the lock cyclinder. Both wires have plenty of cracks and I decided to purchase a new lock cylinder and going to get a new key cut today. I tried to fix the wires but each time I soldered the two peices together, the engine would fire but the wires continued to crack insulation and short. After 228 K miles it was time to replace the parts.:grinyes:

Thanks, Jeff

ponchonutty
03-20-2007, 06:48 AM
WoW! I can't believe that it lasted for over 200k miles. The one in my '89 Formula only lasted about 60k miles. Instead of paying for a new lock though I just went to RadioShack and spent $3.86 for the parts to bypass it.

Add your comment to this topic!