Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 accord with 10500K miles- dont know when to change timing belt??

simit
02-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I am planning to buy a used car 2002 Honda Accord which is driven around 100500. But just want to know when is the right time to change the timing belt for this. as it has not been replaced yet.

DjHackStyle
02-11-2007, 02:43 PM
well you didn't specify if it is a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder, but it doesn't matter, you need to replace it ASAP, believe me cause i got my accord at 109k and i changed it at 110k but the manual says change it every 80k i believe but doesn't matter ur car is way overdue.......

jeffcoslacker
02-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Honda and Gates reccommend 60,000 miles, so you are living on borrowed time. That's probably an interference motor, so plan on $1600 or so for a new head if it breaks...the $400 for a belt job doesn't look so bad when put that way, no?

jeffcoslacker
02-11-2007, 02:49 PM
well you didn't specify if it is a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder, but it doesn't matter, you need to replace it ASAP, believe me cause i got my accord at 109k and i changed it at 110k but the manual says change it every 80k i believe but doesn't matter ur car is way overdue.......

Honda says 80 now?

It's not unusual to see them go 120,000 or more, but that's really pushing it, considering the potential destruction...ironically the more use they see, the longer they last...
I've seen ones that had 100,000 of daily use on them and still looked pretty good, and I've seen ones in ten year old granny cars that only had 28,000 and were ready to break, all cracked and frayed....it seems time is more a factor than mileage, really.

NesOne
02-13-2007, 10:03 AM
I have an 02 accord ex 4 cyl. that I bought in 02, and the manual says to change the timing belt at 106,000. I took mine to an independent honda shop when it had 105,000 and the mechanic said that, that is the right time to change it.

jeffcoslacker
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Belts must be getting better....makes sense...

RODALCO
02-24-2007, 01:51 AM
It also depends upon a lot of slow traffic driving too.
If a car is used a lot in first and second gear instead of long distance fourth and 5th gear driving the engine will make more revolutions and hence more wear and tear on the timing belt.

I have seen on big ships actual crank shaft revolution counters which count the actual engine revs in multiples of 10.
These have no cam belts but still a good maintenance record can be kept this way on bearing wear and tear.

Also an engine hour meter is very handy too which i have put in our 2 cars we currently use and as well my work ute. It is interesting to see my wifes car clocking up a lot of driving hours and not big kilometerage. City driving, dropping off kids to and from school, swimming etc. Lots of idling time in Aucklands gridlock.

ProMan
02-24-2007, 08:24 AM
I pushed my 92 Accord to 180k before I replaced the TB. I checked it every year to make sure it's good. I know it probably shouldn't be judged from the appearance, but I did not see any cracks or abnormal wear and looked like new, so to me, there is no reason for it to break. It still looked good when I replaced it. But I just feel it's enough for it's service....

Just for your reference.

Add your comment to this topic!