Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Dodge Shadow 2.2 airlocks/overheats

Andrew452
02-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Hello,

We have a 94 shadow and it seems to keep airlocking... and we end up with no heat and the car overheats. Sometimes we will get heat, but usually the heater jus spits out cold air. We have replaced the thermostat as well as the hose from the radiator to the heater core with no luck. After replacing the hose it seemed to be ok for a day or two, that could have just been a fluke tho... Now its back to its old ways, overheating yet spiting out cold air from the heater.

Please help!

KimMG
02-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Are you losing any coolant? Low coolant level will cause the engine to over heat and the cabin heater to blow cold air.
How old is the water pump? Old worn waterpumps don't circulate coolant very well.
How big is the diameter of the hose you replaced? Not familiar with any vehicle that has a hose going from the radiator to the heater core.
Is there a significant difference in temperature between the two hoses going to the heater core? If one is significantly cooler than the other, you may have a clogged or restricted heater core.
If so equipped, is the heater valve fully opening?

Andrew452
02-12-2007, 09:17 AM
most of these points I will have to check, sicne I am not at the car right now, but I can tell you the car does lose a lot of coolant and so far we are unable to find out from where, it does not lose coolant when the car if off, only after it has been running for a while.

KimMG
02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Some autoparts stores have pressure testers available. They look like a small bicycle pump. Pressurize the system and locate the leak.

teakstone
02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi,

The coolant may be blown out the tail pip through a faulty head gasket. To check if the head gasket is the problem, make sure your collant is topped up, open the rad cap and start the engine. If the coolant shoots out, like a raging volcano as the enigine is turned over or runs, the radiator neck (where the cap is fastened to) it is a leaky head gasket.

Otherwise do a pressure test on the cooling system. THe site www.sickcarsymptoms.com (http://www.sickcarsymptoms.com) has a make your own coolant testing tool.

Good luck

JH32552
02-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Andrew...

This kind of sounds like what I was going through with my 94 Shadow. I replaced any part that was related to the cooling system. I kept getting air in the system because of a bad head gasket, which resulted in no heat and the car running cooler than it should have. Of course, when I was 30 miles from home, the head gasket totally blew, and the car would barely run. It's been sitting in my garage awaiting a new head gasket since that fateful day.

good luck, and let us know what you find
Jackie
Jackie

Add your comment to this topic!