Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'89 GMC S15 Jimmy Won't Crank, No Lights

ryanwantscarfixed
02-10-2007, 05:52 PM
I started having trouble with this about a month ago. The problems started when leaving work. I tried to start it but got nothing...no crank, no start. The dash lights did come on at this point. I turned it off and tried again and it started up fine. I stopped at the store on my way home and when I came out the same thing happened. The first time nothing but then it started fine on the second try. So i get it home and the next day when i go out to start it nothings doing. I turn it off and try again and nothing again. I try many more times and nothing. The next day I decided to try to take it out to my dad's place to work on it and it started up fine on the first try. Once i get it there I turn it off and try to start it again immediately...works fine. After that one it went completely dead. It wouldn't start at all. At this point the dash lights still come on. I figured it was the starter so I replaced it witha new one. That still didn't fix the problem. Thought it might be the battery so I replaced it witha new one....still didn't fix the problem. When I was in the car turning the ignition back and forth listening to the sounds i got the dash lights quit coming on. They would come on one time then not come on the next then would come on dimmer the next then not at all again. So at this point I found this site and started digging through the forums and found some somewhat similar posts and people mentioned the ignition switch. I got a new one and replaced that. I got it installed and I tried to start it to see if it worked. I still got nothing. I didn't screw the column back up into place first but I figured since everything was hooked up it would give me an idea if it would start. It didn't. This is the 3rd weekend I have been working on this and it is becoming quite a mystery. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be?

luckymanz
02-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Its seems obviuos you are losing power or a ground somewhere in the circuit. Judging by only what you have written; when you have a "no start", do you have at least 9.6 v. at the (+) side of the starter solenoid? Do you have power (check with test light or meter) from the key switch at the solenoid? Have you checked the grounding straps/connections for corrossion and good contact? Knowing that info and we can dig deeper :smokin:

1996LTOwner
02-12-2007, 01:15 AM
What shape are your battery connectors in? Make sure the smaller wires coming from the battery connectors have good continuity (connection) and aren't corroded. Check the fuse panel connector as well. Very common is what luckymanz posted, remove the negative battery ground, clean the area with a wire brush and resecure it. Even if it looks okay, clean it anyway. The lights dimming are a sign of low voltage or high resistance in the circuit. The battery is new so the poor ground sounds like a good bet.

1996LTOwner
02-12-2007, 01:23 AM
To clarify, clean the area where the battery negative is bolted to the chassis.

Add your comment to this topic!