Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subwoofer Install

emoontheinside
02-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Alright I got a subwoofer install kit thing with a capacitor. Now I can hook everything up, but I cant figure out how to charge the capacitor. It says to put the supplied resistor inline with the capacitor running to the positive lead and have the ground connected properly. Now unless the paint is causing a bad ground for the capacitor, I have everything hooked up except for the resistor. I can't figure out how they want me to put it in line with the rest of the wiring. I managed to put it inside of the fuse thing that is inline with the 4 ga. power wire and it got hot like it's supposed to but I still didnt get a charge on the capacitor...Am I doing something wrong?

Pimpdady753
02-12-2007, 09:01 AM
when i did it, i used plyers and just held the wire and the ristor and tuched the copasitor with the other end, also are you trying to charge it with the stero on, you have to un hook the amp and shit and just have the copasitor in the circuit. hope that helps.

emoontheinside
02-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Does it matter if the amp ground and the capacitor ground run to the same point? Where I have them bolted in, it's a pain in the ass to get to to unbolt it just to remove the amp ground for charging the capacitor.

Pimpdady753
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
no it shouldnt matter.

emoontheinside
02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Ive got just about everything hooked up, but when I connect my remote turn on for my amp in back to the remote turn on for the head unit, I lose all sound. i've got the premium system so I know that it's factory amplified, am I going to have to bypass the factory amp? I've got everything hooked up except for the capacitor right now and I've got the amp hooked directly into everything, the only thing missing is that I dont have the inline fuse from the battery, would that cause problems?

6speed
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
not having a fuse wont cause the amp to not get power, it will just be harmful if something goes wrong. did the capacitor charge correctly then? i read above the "paint might cause a bad ground" yes, that is true, you wan to ground to bare metal. so if you need to sand off the paint to ge to the metal you should probably do that. i grounded my amps to the backside of the truck hatch loop, it was easy to get at with a 10mm (i think?) socket. when connecting the amp turn on wire to the head unit youll want to connect it to the blue/white stripe wire and connect the head unit to it as well. so, all three will be connected at once.

emoontheinside
02-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks! I managed to get everything wired up, but then the protection circuit on my amp (SONY XM-2200GTX 2/1 XPLOD Channel Amplifier) comes on and cuts out power. Occasionally I managed to get the subs to go, but then the power protection circuit comes on on the amplifier and the little light goes from green to red. I used a Scosche wiring kit for up to 1600 watts and it came with a capacitor, but apparently something isn't working right. Bought the whole set up about a year ago for my old car and I dont have the user guide anymore to give possible reasons for it being on and red. :-( I've tried connecting it to just about every wire up there, including the remote turn on for the amp that the factory amp is already connected to, but the light keeps coming on...Any suggestions?

2crunk
02-18-2007, 12:08 AM
power protect sometimes comes on when the amp isnt hooked up correctly then again if its getting power, if you tried hooking up the amp without that fuse you could have possibly burnt it up (fuses are very important)......my 2 cents

emoontheinside
02-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Well I checked out the fuses, regrounded everything and I got it so that the amp turns on and everything and I was messing around with it and everytime that I turn the volume up past 7 on the headunit, the power/protection light comes on. I can't figure out what might be wrong... :-/

2crunk
02-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Well I checked out the fuses, regrounded everything and I got it so that the amp turns on and everything and I was messing around with it and everytime that I turn the volume up past 7 on the headunit, the power/protection light comes on. I can't figure out what might be wrong... :-/

so the amp powers the subs as long as the volume is below 7? can you hear the subs playing this low?

mustangman02232
02-19-2007, 09:33 AM
http://3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176417

emoontheinside
02-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Well the problem apparently was with the remote turn on wire being hooked up at the back of the head unit. So I have it plugged in the interior fuse panel and it's been working wonderfully so far. Thanks for all the help guys!

emoontheinside
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Okay I lied...Its not fixed. It was working yesterday then when I mounted everything permanently into place it stopped working again.. :-( The grounds are good though, I think that the problem is with the REM

emoontheinside
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
And turns out Im just retarded and forgot to tape up my excess speaker wire, so it was touching and that was what was causing the problem. :-/ Sorry for the confusion

Add your comment to this topic!