Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

- Starter or Solenoid ?

Intrepid33
02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
The new battery delivers good electricity, but my 96 Intrepid 33L wont turn - completely dead, a silent death. Is it the starter, the solenoid or what else?
Can anyone help to locate the problem ? and please show me how to replace them with new parts ?

Thank you!
quy2006 @ Gmail . com

muff34
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
The new battery delivers good electricity, but my 96 Intrepid 33L wont turn - completely dead, a silent death. Is it the starter, the solenoid or what else?
Can anyone help to locate the problem ? and please show me how to replace them with new parts ?

Thank you!
quy2006 @ Gmail . comget under there and give starter. rap with a hammer and try it . You don`t have to beat the crap out of it . i think you can see it from top ,if so just get a bar and do it .. not hard to change ,couple of bolts and wires ,no biggy just disconnect battery first. idid mine a couple of years ago same car and engine

Intrepid33
02-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Thank you, Muff33, for advices.
I will do the replacement when the order is available from

http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/brand.php?make_text=dodge&model_text=intrepid&ml=intr--001&year=1996&part_name=starter

PS: Do you think it is the starter or what else?

muff34
02-10-2007, 10:19 AM
PS: Do you think it is the starter or what else?[/quote]

This what I found with my car. If it is dead and you can give a tap and it goes,chances are it is the same. however once you get starter out of car you can get it "bench Tested" .My car did it 2 or three times and each time I just hit starter with a bar and it would go and being 9 years old at the time I took a chance.

wafrederick
02-10-2007, 11:00 AM
You can get a contact repair kit,the starter is not cheap.The contacts go out,a common problem with those starters and are really easy to replace.

Intrepid33
02-11-2007, 05:12 PM
This what I found with my car. If it is dead and you can give a tap and it goes,chances are it is the same. however once you get starter out of car you can get it "bench Tested" .My car did it 2 or three times and each time I just hit starter with a bar and it would go and being 9 years old at the time I took a chance.
Hi muff34

Im so blind and cannot see, where under the hook the starter is.
I see on the top of all only 2 things = the generator near the battery on the right and the pump (I guess) on the left.
Nothing looks like the photo from the web page mentioned above.
Can a starter go lost while driving home?

Thank you!
quy2006 @ Gmail . com

Intrepid33
02-11-2007, 05:18 PM
You can get a contact repair kit,the starter is not cheap.The contacts go out,a common problem with those starters and are really easy to replace.
Hi Wafrederick

Absolutely, A starter is not cheap and costs by $ 200 from
http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/brand.php?make_text=dodge&model_text=intrepid&ml=i ntr--001&year=1996&part_name=starter (http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/brand.php?make_text=dodge&model_text=intrepid&ml=i ntr--001&year=1996&part_name=starter)

Thanks for recommending a contact repair kit.
Sorry, I dont understand that much. Could you explain it for me clearlier please!

Thank you!
quy2006 @ Gmail . com

muff34
02-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi muff34

Im so blind and cannot see, where under the hook the starter is.
I see on the top of all only 2 things = the generator near the battery on the right and the pump (I guess) on the left.
Nothing looks like the photo from the web page mentioned above.
Can a starter go lost while driving home?

Thank you!
quy2006 @ Gmail . comlook farther back and down deeper near bottom on left side . Do you have someone to do the "rebulid " for you cheap? . If not Find an auto wreckers and get a used one if you don`t want to buy the new one. or at the very least you`ll be able to look at one and know what you`re looking for . You will have to get under car to take it off. But first did you give it a tap and get it to work?

Muff

Intrepid33
02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
look farther back and down deeper near bottom on left side . Do you have someone to do the "rebulid " for you cheap? . If not Find an auto wreckers and get a used one if you don`t want to buy the new one. or at the very least you`ll be able to look at one and know what you`re looking for . You will have to get under car to take it off. But first did you give it a tap and get it to work? Muff
Dear muff34
The starter was truly dead, it is now replaced. And my Intrepid runs again, even faster :wink: Just want to let you know.
Thank you very much for helps and wish you all the best
PS: I like your avatar

muff34
02-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Dear muff34
The starter was truly dead, it is now replaced. And my Intrepid runs again, even faster :wink: Just want to let you know.
Thank you very much for helps and wish you all the best
PS: I like your avataryour welcome and glad to hear all is well . Take Care
Muff

Add your comment to this topic!