Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Chevy pick-up NO START

taker442
02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I have a 90 Chevy Scottsdale 1500. 130000 miles
It is running a 350 with throttle body injection.
One day just quit. Brought it home and it started, lot of black smoke. Found 2 codes on the computer O2 sensor (found broke) and temp switch (below -27 for 30 seconds at start-up).
Changed the 02 sensor, gave a complete tune-up.(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter) Has never had a tune-up since I have owned it, so it was due.
Tried to start, would not start. Thought may need some gas to prime the fuel filter (????) put some into the throttle body after a few tries it started.
Pulled it out of the barn and let it warm up.
Turned it off. Would not restart. After a few times it finally started. RUN GREAT!. Took it for a ride, got down the street and it died again. Restarted it would only run full throttle with no RPM's. After about 3 or 4 minutes of running that way I let it stall out. Got out of the truck and found the muffler RED hot (glowing).
Thought it to be a plugged cat. converter. Cut the cat. out. No change can not restart at all. It has good spark, fuel coming Thur the injectors and cranks fine.
The only code is 15 (temp below -27 degrees for more than 30 seconds)
I do not know how to reset that code.
Any help would be great.

Also now put it a ignition module and still nothing

Thank you

Todd

2000CAYukon
02-09-2007, 11:07 AM
The Engine Coolant Temp sensor in the intake manifold next to the tstat housing is bad, not connected or bad wiring. If it is connected, try replacing it.

//2000CAYukon

taker442
02-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Will the temp switch keep it from starting?
The gauge worked fine when it was running.

Let me know.
Thanks

2000CAYukon
02-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Will the temp switch keep it from starting?
The gauge worked fine when it was running.

Let me know.
Thanks

There are two temp sensors. One for the gauge (driver side head) and one for the ECM (intake manifold).

The code 15 says that something is wrong with the sensor (or wiring) with the sensor in the intake. When the engine is cold, it needs more fuel. Also the ECM will not go into closed loop until a certain temp and if that sensor is not working, it will never get into closed loop.

//2000CAYukon

taker442
02-13-2007, 06:46 AM
GOT IT RUNNING!!!

It was the combo of the O2 sensor and the Temp Sensor together.
The temp sensor told the injectors to spray way too much fuel flooding the engine completely.
I pulled all the plugs and let it just sit for a day to air it all out.
Put the plugs back in and it fired right up! http://www.chevroletforum.com/image/s2.gif

Running good not, thanks to everyone for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!