Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power tailgate window blues!

huckaday
02-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi guys. I made the mistake of bragging that my old 88 xlt Bronco's rear window has never given me any trouble, except for the few times that I had to re-slam my spare tire to jar it into working again....... guess what? I didn't knock wood!!! ugh

Anyway, now the switch from inside on the dash doesn't work at all and when I use my key in the tailgate, I have shove my shoulder up against the tailgate and apply constant pressure to make it work.... and yes, the weather stripping is very worn out and I am sure that water did get in there.

So, I imagine that something is lose in there and needs to be replaced or tightened, but before I take every thing apart (it has turned into a rust bucket the last few years, I may not get it back together again, lol) I would like to have an idea of what I am getting into... should I just leave it as is and keep shoulder checking it, or would it be an easy fix?

I am hoping the old truck will last me a bit longer... I love this truck, but it is going to need a whole new body soon... and that takes money, something I don't have a lot of. It has been pretty reliable to me other wise.

Thanks in advance,
Alana
www.huckaday.com

nhscm
02-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Your problem could be the security switch. There is a switch that will not allow the window to go up or down if the truck thinks that the tailgate is down. I had a problem with my 1991 Bronco that sounds like your problem. To see if it is this switch, crawl in the back and remove the panel. Then I took a jump box and connected it with the proper wires on the motor. The window went down, I then let the tailgate down and we bypassed the security switch. I hope this helps. If something didnt make sense, ask me and I will try to clarify. Good Luck.

huckaday
02-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Thanks! I do believe that is the problem.... I have everything taken appart and boy is it wet in there..... I am going to have to replace the weather seal for the window and tape up some parts of the wires that are exposed.

I would love some help on how to bypass this switch from you, but I have everything apart now and need to get it back together tonight... gotta drive the kids to school in the morning. (Mom stuff!) Sooooo hopefully I can google it before I electricute myself!!!??? lol

Thanks again,
Alana
www.huckaday.com

nhscm
02-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Ummm, its been a while since I did it. When you take the panel off (if you are sitting inside the back of the truck) the switch will be on the right side (same side you put the key in to let the window down). I think it is a little plug. We cut it off and connected the wires directly together to bypass it. I hope this helps. Cory

akthumper
01-08-2008, 06:15 AM
well all i can do is tell you what i was told by the bronco guy at the ford shop up here. never ever use the switch on the dash. apparently they are notorious for breaking and are hard to replace. my truck didnt come with a key for my tailgate to he went and cut me one right in the lot and havent used my switch since. and id say replace that weather stripping so you dont have to replace the motor which is sounds like there may be a loose connection if you need pressure to operate it. best of luck.

Add your comment to this topic!