Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing Headlights

PrixGT
02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Has anyone tryed changing the bulbs in the Equinox is there a easier way to do it instead of taking the whole bracket and everything out?

B.A.F.
02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
To change the headlight bulbs you must remove the 3 bolts holding the assembly in. 2 are on top, stainless steel and easy to see. The 3rd is a 10mm bolt that is at the bottom of the assembly. You will need about a 9" extension to reach it. When the bolts are out, pull the headlight forward until the chrome grill bar pops out of its mounting hole next to the light. Next pull the chrome grill bar off the car and remove the headlight assembly by cocking it to get it out. Reverse procedure to reassemble. Headlight is a 9007 bulb.

1986Warthog
05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I Recently did this on my equinox, I took all the mounting hardware for the grille out, the chrome bar then the headlight assembly just pivoted out and to the side. 1/2 hour job... they sure don't make 'em like they used to:banghead:

b minton
03-25-2008, 12:57 PM
To change the headlights on a 2006 Equinox open the hood. You will see 8 snap button fasteners holding the grill on. Use a screwdriver to pull the center pin out of the two part fasteners. You can then remove the other half of the fasteners from the holes. This will allow the entire front grill to tilt forward. Now here's the trick. The headlight has a retainer clip built right into the lens. The chrome trim piece has to be gently pryed off the the headlight assembly. Be careful not to scratch your lens since it is soft plastic. When you pop the trim piece away from the head light assembly the entire grill will move forward about 6 or 8 inches. This is enough. Now remove the two screws at the top and the one on the bottom corner. The top ones are easy, but you'll need a 10mm socket with an extension to remove the one in the lower corner. Now this is very important; wrap the end of the chrome trim piece with a cloth so it doesn't scratch the lens. Gently work the entire assembly out, and to the side. Now you will be able to see the plug to the headlight bulb. Unplug the white plug. There is a clip on the side that will release the plug. Then unscrew the black retainer ring and the bulb will just pull out. Reassemble in reverse order. This takes about 15 minutes.

used auto sales
04-17-2012, 07:24 AM
It is better to change our vehicle headlight periodically, for good performance of headlight at night time.

Ruley73
04-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Why was this 4 year-old thread re-opened?

It's cool and all if you're providing useful information. However, it should be pretty obvious if you have a headlight out.

I suppose law enforcement may be more strict in other areas, but around here they will almost always give you a warning and may not even pull you over unless they have another reason to.

ricebike
04-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Ruley,

that was a spammer!

2 posts so far and both were useless

the mods here are on top of it, probably removed the annoying spam from their signature, like a few others that have popped in with similar methods

http://www.guapacho.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/SPAM-Killer.jpg

good job! :bananadie

75srv180
07-06-2012, 11:07 PM
NOPE! Its a pain in the ass for sure. Ber careful with the chrome trim on the front too. It will break. New from gm $300 to replace. I did find one on ebay though. I recommend removing it first. Gentle is the only way here, if you break off the little white clips, $5 each to replace.

Add your comment to this topic!