'06 VW Beetle Heating Prob

troopie00
02-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi, my 2006 VW Beetle is blowing cold air when I slow down and idle and come back hot when I accelerate. Had it to the dealer twice (it's there now!!). Can't find out what's up. Any ideas?:uhoh:

hako
02-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi, my 2006 VW Beetle is blowing cold air when I slow down and idle and come back hot when I accelerate. Had it to the dealer twice (it's there now!!). Can't find out what's up. Any ideas?:uhoh:

Most aircons and heaters use vacuum controlled flaps to direct hot and cold air depending on what you select - when you slow down or are idling vacuum will be at its highest point (17 to 21 inches of mercury) and when you accelerate you open the throttle and vacuum goes to almost NIL. So there is the clue!......but to further complicate things most cars have a vacuum reservoir so that vacuum stay almost at a stable figure. So, in you case it is possible that the vacuum reservoir is either leaking or a hose is split......something is affecting your vacuum! It may be as simple as a hose off or a one way valve buggered. Our VW has never had the heater turned on but we live in the tropics!:naughty:

veedubmechanic
02-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Do you have a tdi?
ALL the flaps are servo controlled not vacuum on beetles

hako
02-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Do you have a tdi?
ALL the flaps are servo controlled not vacuum on beetles

Servo can be by electrical,hydraulic, pneumatic or vacuum etc - servo assisted brakes are vacuum powered.

I don't have a Tdi but diesels still have a vacuum pump for the power brakes (servo) and they could use that vacuum to operate the climate control servos but the vacuum would not rise and fall depending on throttle position (no manifold vacuum) so that rules out my suggestion.

My manual is a Haynes which unfortunately doesn't mention servos which is why I'd presumed they are vacuum operated.

Hope you get it fixed without too many hassles.....we were lucky with only one minor fault but even that took 2 years for VW to fix. Life could be so much easier eh! Good Luck.

hako
02-21-2007, 12:17 AM

Apparently there is a VW Tech Bulletin out on this problem. Tell your dealer to look at
Group 80
Number 06-03
Date Mar 28 2006
Subject: Customer States Heater Output is Sufficient while Driving But is Reduced When Idling.

This bulletin applies in Yankeeland (I live in Australia where VW are extremely unfriendly!) Good Luck.

Add your comment to this topic!