Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

grinding from np208

sitdwnandhngon
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
i recently converted my 1985 chevy 1/2 truck from an automatic to a standard using a 4 speed with an NP208 transfer case behind it, when i tested the 4 wheel drive i discovered that the transfer case would not go back into 2 wheel drive unless i parked on a steep hill. Recently the weather has been around 20 degrees below zero and no my truck is stuck in 4 low, when i try 4 high or two wheel a grinding noise comes from the transfer case when i let the clutch out. should i just go buy a new one at the yard or is there something i may be able to do. any help is much appreciated. thank you.

MT-2500
02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
i recently converted my 1985 chevy 1/2 truck from an automatic to a standard using a 4 speed with an NP208 transfer case behind it, when i tested the 4 wheel drive i discovered that the transfer case would not go back into 2 wheel drive unless i parked on a steep hill. Recently the weather has been around 20 degrees below zero and no my truck is stuck in 4 low, when i try 4 high or two wheel a grinding noise comes from the transfer case when i let the clutch out. should i just go buy a new one at the yard or is there something i may be able to do. any help is much appreciated. thank you.

I would have a good look at the shift linkage for out of adjustment and arms being loose.
Or take linkage lose and hand shift it and see if it changes gears.

sitdwnandhngon
02-10-2007, 03:36 PM
thanks, thats i did that after i posted and it was off a little. i still need to park on a hill but atleast its acting like it was. thanks

Add your comment to this topic!