Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Reliability! Mazda tops list!

Gotian
02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/024-cant-get-no-satisfaction/

Apparently according to the warrenty department Mazda has topped the list as having the most reliable cars, with only an 8% breakdown rate (Probably due to all the recalls for the rx-8 :lol2: ) They are just a tad bit higher than honda.

Musashi3000GT
02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Ofcourse they are reliable! they dont make enough torque to break anything! :icon16:

Hey Mitsubishi is up there.....surprisingly! :confused:

Gotian
02-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Ofcourse they are reliable! they dont make enough torque to break anything! :icon16:

Im not suprised mitsubishi is there, they make reliable cars, those galants take a beating. It just so happens that we have the bad ones which are the eclipses, but remember they dont make eclipses over there in euroasia, why? cause its a dodge/chrysler and where is dodge/chrysler? 26!

It's just like me saying VW is 23 and mine doesnt really have problems minus a few old hoses and a dead battery i just changed in the first time since it was made.

DinanM3_S2
02-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Remember, this is a European survey. Mazda and the others sell a bunch of cars over there that they wouldn't even think of selling in the US.

My biggest problem with this kind of survey is that they are actually a bit biased against luxury cars. 1st of all, a Luxury car like a BMW 3-series or an Audi A4 will usually have more toys and features then your average Honda Civic or Mazda3, like nav, heated seats, or traction control. The presence of more gizmos means that there are more things to go wrong. Imangine it as shooting at a 1 foot dartboard versus shooting at a 1 year dartboard.

This survey doesn't tell us the magnitude or cost of the issues that arise. For all we know, 50% of Saabs might have a faulty power window, but impeccable drivetrains, while 1 in 10 Mazdas' engines explode, but their electronics are second to none. Surely the engine exploding is a bigger problem, but it would count for just as much as the faulty window.

There is also an issue of expectations. We expect a $35,000 Audi to be next to perfect while we would expect more issues from a Kia. If an interior light on your A4 is flickering, you would be more likely to report the problem then if it was in a Kia Rio.

On top of all of this you have to ask, can you really put all cars from one company under one banner? I would argue that from company to company, certain cars are more reliable then others. A BMW 328i would probably be more reliable then a 530i with IDrive which would be more reliable then an M5. Since we buy individual cars and not a whole company's lineup, information about individual models would be much more telling.

Finally, there has to be a hundred of these surveys and they all get slightly different information. I tend to look more at trends between surveys then at one survey. What I have found is that Honda, Toyota, and Lexus are always at or near the top, American car makers are usually in the middle, Land Rovers are unreliable, and that luxury cars usually do worse then regular cars.

VR43000GT
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM

Ummm I demand a recount. :grinno:

-Jayson-
02-07-2007, 02:57 PM
how come GM wasnt included?

Gotian
02-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Remember, this is a European survey. Mazda and the others sell a bunch of cars over there that they wouldn't even think of selling in the US.

My biggest problem with this kind of survey is that they are actually a bit biased against luxury cars. 1st of all, a Luxury car like a BMW 3-series or an Audi A4 will usually have more toys and features then your average Honda Civic or Mazda3, like nav, heated seats, or traction control. The presence of more gizmos means that there are more things to go wrong. Imangine it as shooting at a 1 foot dartboard versus shooting at a 1 year dartboard.

This survey doesn't tell us the magnitude or cost of the issues that arise. For all we know, 50% of Saabs might have a faulty power window, but impeccable drivetrains, while 1 in 10 Mazdas' engines explode, but their electronics are second to none. Surely the engine exploding is a bigger problem, but it would count for just as much as the faulty window.

There is also an issue of expectations. We expect a $35,000 Audi to be next to perfect while we would expect more issues from a Kia. If an interior light on your A4 is flickering, you would be more likely to report the problem then if it was in a Kia Rio.

On top of all of this you have to ask, can you really put all cars from one company under one banner? I would argue that from company to company, certain cars are more reliable then others. A BMW 328i would probably be more reliable then a 530i with IDrive which would be more reliable then an M5. Since we buy individual cars and not a whole company's lineup, information about individual models would be much more telling.

Finally, there has to be a hundred of these surveys and they all get slightly different information. I tend to look more at trends between surveys then at one survey. What I have found is that Honda, Toyota, and Lexus are always at or near the top, American car makers are usually in the middle, Land Rovers are unreliable, and that luxury cars usually do worse then regular cars.

actually if you read it carefully it says US to UK

and also what you have found compared to what is on here isnt much of a difference is it?

Gotian
02-07-2007, 03:01 PM

cause the only GM they care about over there is the vette and even then it still doesnt matter to them.

BlackGT2000
02-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Over where? I thought you just said that this was a US and UK thing?

DinanM3_S2
02-07-2007, 03:36 PM
actually if you read it carefully it says US to UK

and also what you have found compared to what is on here isnt much of a difference is it?

I did notice that US bit, but when looking at the chart you can't help but notice the presence of non-US brands (Renault, Fiat, Alfa, etc) and the absence of US only brands (Buick, Pontiac, Lincoln).

Here is J.D. Power's reliability survey- http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/10-08-06_14

Lexus, 136

Mercury,151

Buick, 153

Cadillac, 163

Toyota, 179

Acura, 184

Honda, 194

Jaguar, 210

BMW, 212

Infiniti, 215

Lincoln,220

Ford, 224

Oldsmobile, 224

Industry Average, 227

Chrysler, 232

Pontiac, 232

Subaru, 232

GMC, 239

Mercedes-Benz, 240

Chevrolet, 241

Nissan, 242

Mazda, 243

Porsche, 248

Hyundai, 253

Dodge, 258

Mitsubish, 260

Jeep, 264

Volvo, 272

Audi, 279

MINI, 280

Isuzu, 283

Saturn, 289

Volkswagen, 299

HUMMER, 307

Kia, 310

Suzuki, 318

Saab, 326

Land Rover, 438

As you can see, there are some major differences between TG and JDP. Mini is ranked very high in TG, but very low in JDP. Lexus wins in JDP, but places 8th in TG. Jag is high in JDP (beating BMW) and low in TG. Mitsubishi and Mazda are very high in TG, but place much lower in JDP. Nissan falls quite a bit from TG to JDP.

There are some noticable trends that both share- Land Rover is bad, as is Saab, VW, and Audi. BMW and Mercedes are pretty close to average (BMW a little above, Merc a little below). Ford is a bit above average. Honda and Toyota are consistently strong.

-The Stig-
02-07-2007, 05:03 PM

GM is included, you're just not looking for the correct name. GM products are sold under the Vauxhaul name in Europe. Like the Vauxhaul Manaro (GTO here) and the Vauxhaul Speedster VX220 Turbo (Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky here). Although Corvette is sold under the Chevrolet name and Cadillac is also sold in Europe as a Luxury choice over the Euro-brands.

Daewoo is also a satellite company of GM, they recently stopped making Daewoo's and rebadged them as Chevrolets.

Chiquae07
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
sweet go nissan! anyway, its proboly from all the qr25 engines with the precat on the header. also from the butterfly screws on that engine as well. well, yet again there was the whole oil burning thing going on, but otherwise i havent heard anything else from nissan.

TheStang00
02-08-2007, 05:17 PM
interesting thing with Dinan's list. mercury is second, but their product is almost identical to ford and lincoln...

Add your comment to this topic!