Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gas mileage

Bernando1
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
What kind of gas mileage are you getting realistically? I know the sticker says one thing, and often the actual mileage is another. I am not really interested in the turbo.

Jimmy Olsen
02-08-2007, 06:14 AM
What kind of gas mileage are you getting realistically? I know the sticker says one thing, and often the actual mileage is another. I am not really interested in the turbo.

28 on the highway doing 65 mph. 20 to 22 in city depending upon how long or short your trips are and outside temperature.

Gas mileage gets better as you put more miles on the car.

speediva
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I've got an 05 with a 5spd MT, and I get about 28 highway and 24 city.

The mileage used to be higher until they replaced the coil that was bad. Not sure how that works...

jg09
10-18-2007, 03:50 PM
28 on the highway doing 65 mph. 20 to 22 in city depending upon how long or short your trips are and outside temperature.

Gas mileage gets better as you put more miles on the car.

28 mpg? Whoa! Our 2003 naturally aspirated Forester only gets about 20 on average in country driving.

speediva
10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd LOVE to know how the hell you're driving. I average 70mph on the interstate (or back country roads... whichever I'm on that month) and I still get a minimum of 25mpg.

jg09
10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I'll admit, I drive it like a sports car occasionally. Plus, it's not technically a true "country road" by your definition, I guess. It does have intersections and cross traffic.

jtb74168621
12-29-2007, 11:35 AM
We've had our 2008 Forester about a month and a half and I have 3,600 miles on it. I've gotten 27+ on the highway and from 22+ to 24+ in town. A lot less that we were getting in our 2006 Toyota Corolla but then, we don't have a problem getting up the mountain to our house now. So thats a good thing.

LuDuGirl
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
We've had our 2008 Forester about a month and a half and I have 3,600 miles on it. I've gotten 27+ on the highway and from 22+ to 24+ in town.

We've had our 2008 Forester for about the same amount of time, though we only have 900 miles on ours. We're getting about 18+ in town and 22+ on the highway. However, I notice that each time we fill up, we seem to going a little further between fill ups. Perhaps as the engine breaks in more, we'll get better mileage? I hope...

kodonnell
05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I am a Subaru salesman and I have customers calling me to report arount 30-31 mpg on the highway in the 2009 Subaru Forester. That is of course with conservative driving.

jg09
05-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Okay, not technically a Forester, but with all the same running gear and drivetrain, I think this counts. My Outback with the 2.5 liter 4 cyl. motor is getting around 25 or so, but my tires are 1" bigger than stock.

kodonnell
05-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah it counts. Only difference is Wagon or SUV?

jg09
05-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Wagon or SUV?

That right there just triggered a quick rant. Subaru only has one SUV, the Tribeca. The Forester? A lifted wagon. The Outback? Also a lifted wagon (to be specific, a Legacy with a 2.5" lift). I'm just tired of Subaru calling the Forester a "compact SUV." My idea of a compact SUV is an SUV based on a compact pickup's platform. i.e. My Explorer is a compact SUV since it's just a Ranger with a different body. I'm also tired of hearing commercials that say the Outback gets better fuel mileage than today's "mid sized SUVs". Well yes, I'd sure hope so, it's a small wagon.

Anyway, sorry to threadjack. I just had to get that out.

freakray
05-24-2008, 02:03 PM
That right there just triggered a quick rant. Subaru only has one SUV, the Tribeca. The Forester? A lifted wagon. The Outback? Also a lifted wagon (to be specific, a Legacy with a 2.5" lift). I'm just tired of Subaru calling the Forester a "compact SUV." My idea of a compact SUV is an SUV based on a compact pickup's platform. i.e. My Explorer is a compact SUV since it's just a Ranger with a different body. I'm also tired of hearing commercials that say the Outback gets better fuel mileage than today's "mid sized SUVs". Well yes, I'd sure hope so, it's a small wagon.

Anyway, sorry to threadjack. I just had to get that out.

And a Ranger isn't a compact pickup, a Ford Bantam is a compact pickup.
So, stop getting caught up in idiosyncrasies of the US car market, half of what America considers compact is actually a midsize every where else in the world.

jg09
05-24-2008, 06:39 PM
And a Ranger isn't a compact pickup, a Ford Bantam is a compact pickup.
So, stop getting caught up in idiosyncrasies of the US car market, half of what America considers compact is actually a midsize every where else in the world.

By today's standards, no the Ranger isn't compact. In 1983 when it came out, it was America's compact. Heck, up until the early 90s, it was still America's compact. The reason I say my Explorer is compact isn't compared to today's market, but what it was back in 1991 when it came out.

mklmnade
12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
I have about 107K miles on my 2001 Forester, and my gas mileage has been decreasing lately. Just got slightly under 22 mpg on the latest highway trip! Used to get that in town. Any clues what might be the problem?

BigDaddy10
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
I am driving an /04 Forester with 200 000 km (120 000 miles) and the mileage is terrible. The check engine light is on. Our mechanic said the oxygen sensor needs to be replaced, and this will improve mileage. Any truth to this?
Thanks in advance,
David

mklmnade
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
My check engine light was on for a while, then on and off. It kept throwing the "replace catalytic converter" code, and even threw the replace O2 sensor code at one point. It has been off since I had maintenance done at the Subaru dealership. I have been told that the check engine light can come on if the wrong size/brand of spark plugs are used, and the light first started giving me problems after I had a non-Subaru shop work on it. It passed inspection in Feb...if the gas mix was too rich, wouldn't it have shown up on the inspection? At any rate, my light is off now, but I will keep an eye out for any future O2 sensor problems.

Mike_Van
05-19-2010, 01:51 PM
A range of drivers of different Forester years reporting their MPG:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/forester

Our '98 (Automatic) gives 20 City, 26 Hwy.

Add your comment to this topic!