Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lock issues with 95 Golf 3

nmikmik
02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok, it’s my wife’s cousin’s 95 Golf 3 (really), whatever the 3 means I don’t know. Really not my car, but I am supposedly a family car “expert”. The driver’s door lock just turns freely after last couple of weeks “cold snap” in San Diego. As I understand she tried opening the door and it felt stuck, so she forced it somewhat and it did open, but the next time she tried to close it would just turn and nothing would happen. Previously she was complaining that she locked herself in the car once or twice, just by pushing the lock button on top of the door panel and could not get out of the car any way other then through the sunroof. I really miss the picture of her going through the roof. Anyway, my questions:
1. How do I properly remove the door panel without too much damage, I don’t think there any of those funky clips that used to hold manual cranks for the windows so should be only screws… ?
found great link on this site after the fact :grinyes:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/door_panel_removal.htm
2. Should I get any parts (like a plastic clip that holds the linkage to the lock bracket) from the dealer/parts supplier that are known to break and cause this kind of issues or wait till I pull the door panel off and find that dealer is out of stock or parts department is closed etc. ….
3. Should I suggest installing a basic remote lock opener (considering I will be installing it) to limit fumbling with keys?

Thanks for all your suggestions,

veedubmechanic
02-10-2007, 05:50 PM
You can install a factory alarm with remote entry. ALL you need is the keyless entry alarm module (ebay for 100.00) and the remote/remotes for it.
Its located behind the headlight switch. The remote entry is black and the non remote entry is silver.

MK3 vw's have problems with the lock cylinder. Its cheap metal and breaks. You need to go to a vw dealer and buy the lock cylinder end parts (5 I think, a spring, hook rod that goes into the door latch, and some other parts)

All you need to do is open the door and take out the t30 screw by the handle, put the key in the lock, and push the door handle twards the front of the car and pull the handle out. You can then dis/assemble the lock and replace the broken parts.

braveheart265
02-21-2007, 06:27 AM
You can install a factory alarm with remote entry. ALL you need is the keyless entry alarm module (ebay for 100.00) and the remote/remotes for it.
Its located behind the headlight switch. The remote entry is black and the non remote entry is silver.

MK3 vw's have problems with the lock cylinder. Its cheap metal and breaks. You need to go to a vw dealer and buy the lock cylinder end parts (5 I think, a spring, hook rod that goes into the door latch, and some other parts)

All you need to do is open the door and take out the t30 screw by the handle, put the key in the lock, and push the door handle twards the front of the car and pull the handle out. You can then dis/assemble the lock and replace the broken parts.
OK is this module going to work for my 95 Cabriolet, and what do I need to buy on ebay?

Add your comment to this topic!