Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Chevy Blazer (wont start) COLD

DRIFT_PIG
02-06-2007, 09:41 AM
ok here it goes its super cold here in milwaukee, yesterday our chevy blazer just stop running, when we tried starting it again it wont start. When the ignition is turned on you cant hear the fuel pump at all. Need help with this im not familiar with chevy's but have never had this problem with any of my chevy's ur help is appreciated. thanx

specs
1995 chevy blazer LS
158,000 miles

MT-2500
02-06-2007, 10:46 AM
ok here it goes its super cold here in milwaukee, yesterday our chevy blazer just stop running, when we tried starting it again it wont start. When the ignition is turned on you cant hear the fuel pump at all. Need help with this im not familiar with chevy's but have never had this problem with any of my chevy's ur help is appreciated. thanx

specs
1995 chevy blazer LS
158,000 miles

Welcome to AF on your first post.
First does the battery turn it over good?
Are you getting good spark to all plugs.
What size engine and what is the 8 vin no/engine code?
Any service history on repair or tune up or mileage?

DRIFT_PIG
02-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes battery turns over the engine good. Engine is a V6 Vortec motor. 8th letter on vin is W. If you mean the 8th number it is 3

oil change every 4000 miles
frequent tune-ups
use to travel alot to California
156,000 miles on truck

MT-2500
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Yes battery turns over the engine good. Engine is a V6 Vortec motor. 8th letter on vin is W. If you mean the 8th number it is 3

oil change every 4000 miles
frequent tune-ups
use to travel alot to California
156,000 miles on truck

The W code is it.
Check for good spark and if you have good spark check for fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure specs are 55/61 on that one.
You will need at least 60 lbs of fuel pressure for a good cold start.
Let us know what you find.

DRIFT_PIG
02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
The W code is it.
Check for good spark and if you have good spark check for fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure specs are 55/61 on that one.
You will need at least 60 lbs of fuel pressure for a good cold start.

it started for 3 seconds then turn right bak off i put heaters in my garage an its kinda working. but it still turns off and i can hear the fuel pump once in a while turn on but still doest turn on the truck

MT-2500
02-07-2007, 09:09 AM
it started for 3 seconds then turn right bak off i put heaters in my garage an its kinda working. but it still turns off and i can hear the fuel pump once in a while turn on but still doest turn on the truck

How many times does it start and run 3 seconds?

Have you checked for good spark?

Any security light staying on on dash?
Any add on remote start or anti theft systems on it?

DRIFT_PIG
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
only twiced it stayed on for 2 seconds no anti theft or remote start
check engine light is on but has been on since the o2 is kinda bad

DRIFT_PIG
02-07-2007, 10:00 AM
check engine light is on but has been on since the o2 is kinda bad

DRIFT_PIG
02-07-2007, 10:00 AM
check engine light is on

MT-2500
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
check engine light is on

Got Good spark to all plugs?

travis2822
02-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Have you gotten your truck to run yet???? If you did how did you do it as mine is having the same problems as yours it seems.

DRIFT_PIG
02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
no still not runnig since my garage is not heated and it has good spark to all cylinders today it started for 45 seconds then shut off and i couldnt start it again.

DelCoch
02-08-2007, 11:46 PM
I suspect you may have a frozen or partly frozen gas line. Maybe ice in the fuel filter. I would put a can/bottle of heat in the tank and even add 5-gallon of gas if you have less than a half tank. Shake the truck a little to mix the gas up in the tank and then try to start it a couple times to draw the heat up through the gas line. Then let it set for an hour or so and see how it does. If you have a portable heater set it to blow under the driver's side door.

Next, I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if it has at least 60 psi of fuel pressure at the shrader valve for the first 2-seconds the key is turned on - engine off. Then, see what the fuel pressure does for those few seconds that the engine runs.

Lets us know what you find.

DRIFT_PIG
02-10-2007, 10:38 AM
we might just end up buying a fuel pump we added 2 botles of heat and nothing happens we replaced the relays on the globe box still nothing happens and then we put either in the intake still nothing happens. we still cannot hear the fuel pump turn on. How hard is it to drop the tank .

MT-2500
02-10-2007, 02:01 PM
we might just end up buying a fuel pump we added 2 botles of heat and nothing happens we replaced the relays on the globe box still nothing happens and then we put either in the intake still nothing happens. we still cannot hear the fuel pump turn on. How hard is it to drop the tank .

I would suggest some proper testing on the fuel pump and fuel pump circuit first.

DelCoch
02-11-2007, 12:58 AM
On the '95 W engine - there is a red fuel pump test wire located under the hood, on the drivers side inner fender, next to the black electrical junction box. It will be a red wire with a black or gray end and won't be connected to anything - just hanging there. Apply a 12v supply to this red fuel pump test wire and the fuel pump should run. (When you apply a 12V supply to the red fuel pump test wire it will by-pass all other electrical components in the fuel pump circuit)

If the fuel pump runs when applying a 12V jumper to the red fuel pump test wire, then check fuel pump pressure at shrader valve while pump is running. Pressure has to be above 60 psi for engine to start. If you have proper pressure, disconnect jumper wire and observe pressure drop, it should only drop 3-4psi. If it drops more than this the pressure regulator is probably bad.

If all the above checks out, then your pump is ok, in which case remove the jumper wire and with just the key turned on, conduct "A" and "C" below - (skip "B"). Remember, when the key is first turned on the pump only runs for 2 seconds and then the key must be off for 10 seconds before the pump will run for another 2 seconds.

If the pump doesn't run when a 12v jumper is applied:

(A) Disconnect the wiring harness at the fuel pump connector at the gas tank.

(B) Again apply a 12v supply to the red fuel pump test wire and leave it there while checking for current on the Grey wire at the fuel pump connector at the gas tank. You can check for current with a test light or volt meter, but in any case make sure you have a good ground when testing.

(C) If you have 12v on the Gray wire and the black wire is supplying a good ground and the pump doesn't run, make sure the connector at the gas tank is making a good connection. If pump still doesn't run, its toast and needs replaced.

For info on replacing fuel pump on a '95 Check out this Post (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=633098)

DRIFT_PIG
02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I would suggest some proper testing on the fuel pump and fuel pump circuit first.
hey i need help just finish installing fuel pump and now the truck wont start any suggestion on it i think they gave me the s10 blazer fuel pump and mine is a 95 blazer ls 4dr 4.3 liter vortec v6 is ther a difference in fuel pump can this cause it not to start.

MT-2500
02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
hey i need help just finish installing fuel pump and now the truck wont start any suggestion on it i think they gave me the s10 blazer fuel pump and mine is a 95 blazer ls 4dr 4.3 liter vortec v6 is ther a difference in fuel pump can this cause it not to start.

Read post no 16.

MT-2500
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM

You need to give us some info.
Have you got spark to all plugs?
Have you got good 60 lbs of fuel pump pressure?
Does the fuel pump run on engine crank or key on 30 second prime?
If not check for 12 volts to fuel pump relay.
Orange wire. Off of fuse EMC/battery.
Or jump 12 volts to fuel pump With a FUSED JUMPER to the red fuel pump prime wire at relay or left rear of engine area.
Let us know how that goes.

DRIFT_PIG
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
we have 0 psi in the fuel pump pressure we attach it to shrader valve an got 0 pounds of pressure whats wrong
fuel pump runs when key is turn on for 3 sec and after crank runs for another 6 seconds
we jump the fuel pump at the red wire and it turns on we also replaced the fuel filter i need help it still does not run.
we also got the battery recharged and still didnt help

DRIFT_PIG
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
we have 0 psi in the fuel pump pressure we attach it to shrader valve an got 0 pounds of pressure whats wrong
fuel pump runs when key is turn on for 3 sec and after crank runs for another 6 seconds
we jump the fuel pump at the red wire and it turns on we also replaced the fuel filter i need help it still does not run.
we also got the battery recharged and still didnt help

DelCoch
02-16-2007, 05:40 AM
After replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter it takes a little while for the new pump to deliver fuel to the shrader valve, as the fuel line and fuel filter are empty. How much gas did you put back in the tank after replacing the pump. You need at least 5-gallon with the truck sitting level, (not jacked up in the rear).

Remove the fuel filter and see if the pump is pumping anything at that location. If so, put your finger over the end of the line and see if it has any pressure. If no pressure you need to remove the fuel pump and check it.

Make sure the fuel filter is on right - it has arrows to indicate the direction of flow.

DRIFT_PIG
02-16-2007, 08:17 PM
ok ill check that asap

Add your comment to this topic!