1994 Sub Loyale - what's up with three idiot lights?

MasterChief
02-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Hoping someone can help me here. I have a 93 Loyale and last night on the way home three of the warning lights came on (parking brake, charging, and brake fluid). The car ran fine for the rest of the trip (20 plus miles). I let the car sit for 1 hour and restarted it but the same three lights came on. The car has a new battery (3 months old) but has the original alternator. With 170K miles I can't complain. Would decreasing charging performance from the alternator light up more that just the charging light? The strange part was that the parking brake light was only about 50% lit.

What do ya think?????
Obvious things to check - alternator charge and brake fluid level - just seems weird that all three would light at the same time.

Moderator - how about opening up a Loyale forum?

somick
02-06-2007, 01:08 PM
This is a classic case of a bad alternator.

Sam

MasterChief
02-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I will test the alternator. With 170K miles its lived a long and productive life. I wonder if I can just replace the brushes? At least I can take comfort knowing the Alternator is easy to access.

Its a love hate relationship with this car.
Hate - slow, noisy and not the most appealing body design
Love - decent gas mileage (31mpg), rock solid reliability, low cost of ownership

See ya

somick
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, I have done this! Replaced brushes, enjoed it for a couple of months and then the voltage regulator went bad. I did not take chanses this time and bought an aftermaket replacement with a lifetime warranty. Since then I had few more. The only good thing that the alternators were free this time.

Good luck,

Sam

MasterChief
02-06-2007, 04:11 PM
More news.

UPDATE - I received an email back from a local Subaru-only repair shop. I think they take pity on me cause my car is so old. Anyway, he agreed that "it is likely the alternator but also suggested that I check the B+ terminal on the back of the alternator to make sure its not coming off. They tend to get hot and need to be resoldered back to their connection" Hope this helps anyone else with the same problems

key words: more than one light illuminating, charge, brake, emergency brake, dash lights

Add your comment to this topic!