Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

weather strips and speakers

vetjcella
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
i have two questions... im putting in weatherstrips in my 1970 firebird and i want to know witch type of glue is best to use and my other question is my speakers do not work, and im looking for average speakers, what kind of stuff should i get?

hotrod_chevyz
02-05-2007, 07:45 PM
3M weatherstrip adhesive in the tube should do just fine. Just follow the instructions and your good.

As for speakers, it depends on what stereo you have. The choices are plentiful so just go out and try some and pay attention to the warrenty they have just in case you end up hating them or blowing them out.

vetjcella
02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
i have kenwood 6 by 9 but they do not work so i am getting new 6 by 9's and i do not know what many watts or what type i should get, would you be able to help me on that and should i get an amplifier? thank you.

hotrod_chevyz
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
What kind of stereo will you be using?

vetjcella
02-05-2007, 11:30 PM
well i just bought kenwood that give me 300watts max and im not gona get subwoofers for a while but im not really sure what amplifiers do so i dono if i really need one or not

stepho
02-06-2007, 06:29 PM
The MAX wattage is not very important. The number you need to look for is the RMS number. The RMS rating is what the head unit is designed to put out continuously.

The other thing you need to look at is... is the 300W max for all channels? As in the head unit is giving each speaker a max of 75 Watts?

First step- Figure out what wattage each speaker is getting from your head unit.

Second step- Determine whether you want an amplifier or not. The amplifier will boost the signal strength, and give you a cleaner sound. (You probably want one, but you may already have them.)

Third step- If you opt to go with an amplifier figure out what kind of output your head unit has. Does it have line level output? or only speaker level output? If it only has speaker level output you will need to select an amplifier that accepts speaker level input. (plugging speaker level input into a line level port, will damage your amp.) If you get an amp, remember the RMS rating and MAX rating as it will be important in the next step.

Fourth Step- Selecting Speakers: First of, you want to select speakers as close to the RMS and MAX rating of the amplifier (or head unit if you aren't using an amp), but slightly higher.

Now just install all the parts and your done.

Morley
02-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Permatex Ultra Black weatherstrip adhesive. I tried the 3M and in a few days it hardened and let go of the weatherstrip. The Permatex never hardens, stays nice and flexable and being black, it won't show if you get some on the outside of the weatherstrip.

Add your comment to this topic!