Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weird Noise on 97 Camry

jacquiemulc
02-04-2007, 11:30 PM
I have a 1997 Toyota Camry and I've had it for about a year. Just recently ( about 2 months) my car started making some weird noises. The first one happens every time I start the car up. Whether it is cold or hot ( I live in FL so it fluctuates allot!) the car makes a noise for about 1 minute like it is guzzling something. It reminds me of a person chugging beer or something. It goes away, I just didn't know if this was anything anyone else has experienced. The other noise is like a hooting noise. It happens sporadically, and whether I have been driving for 1 minute or an hour. its a constant hoot hoot hoot noise, like something is rotating. I really don't know how to describe it perfectly. I'm not too good with cars! If anyone has and suggestions, that would be great!!

Thanks!
-Jacquie

RIP
02-05-2007, 12:24 AM
A guzzle and a hoot...there's a drunk with a pet owl on his shoulder in the back seat...sorry. Have a friend with a little car knowledge? Have him or her listen to it and come on back.

Is it coming from the front or back, left or right? Driving straight or turning make a difference? Happen when braking or accelerating. Does the "hoot" speed up and slow down with engine speed? Do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? Welcome to AF. Cheers!

Mike Gerber
02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
The guzzling noise could be just that. You may have some air trapped in the cooling system and when you start up the car, the air is moving around. Did you have any work done on the cooling system recently? If so, someone may have not properly bled all the air out of the system. When the car is cold, you can also check the cooling system yourself by removing the radiator cap and looking inside the radiator. Is the system low? This is just a guess on my part, but it is the only thing I can think of that would sound like a guzzling noise on startup.

As far as the other noise, like RIP said, we need more information on that.

Mike

jacquiemulc
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Well thanks for the reply. I will try and listen to see where it is coming from. My boyfriend is a mechanic, but he just says its not big deal and that my car is just old. I'll post back when i can narrow it down!
Thanks again!

Jacquie

Add your comment to this topic!