Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard to remove key?

BlenderWizard
02-04-2007, 07:25 PM
My wife just got a new (07) Equinox last night. When parking the vehicle, often the key just will not go all the way back to the "Off" position, and you cannot remove it from the switch.

Basically, unless you slam the shifter forward, you can't turn the thing all the way off.

What's going on?

J-Mech
02-04-2007, 07:27 PM
It still thinks the car is in gear. Check PRNDL switch on trans. Floor shift?

BlenderWizard
02-04-2007, 07:37 PM
It still thinks the car is in gear. Check PRNDL switch on trans. Floor shift?

Yes, it is a floor shift, and I am about to go check the indicator

BlenderWizard
02-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Indicator says park, but it still won't give me the key without giving the shifter a good bump.

Any ideas?

J-Mech
02-04-2007, 08:14 PM
When i said check the PRNDL switch i meant on the transmition. Where the shifter shaft is there is a switch that is electrical. It contains the neutral park safety switch. It may be out of adjustment. Sorry i wasn't clear. If its brand new, mechanic or not I'd take it back and have them fix it!! Unless you have to drive forever to get to the dealer.

BlenderWizard
02-04-2007, 08:18 PM
When i said check the PRNDL switch i meant on the transmition. Where the shifter shaft is there is a switch that is electrical. It contains the neutral park safety switch. It may be out of adjustment. Sorry i wasn't clear. If its brand new, mechanic or not I'd take it back and have them fix it!! Unless you have to drive forever to get to the dealer.

Brand new, bought it last night. And I live about 3 miles from the dealer... Is this something they should be able to remedy quickly?

J-Mech
02-04-2007, 08:20 PM
OH yeah i think so. GOOD LUCK! Post again if no luck!

BlenderWizard
02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks!

BlenderWizard
02-05-2007, 07:38 PM
As it turns out, the button in the shifter is the culprit. The dealer tweaked it today, and it works better, but they have ordered a replacement shifter handle.

Add your comment to this topic!