Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Jimmy, stuck in park

pitbullvassar
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Ok, I have a 98 Gmc Jimmy 4 door, 4X4. 85,000 miles. It is kinda stuck in park. I say kinda because I just went outside (where it's cold as hell here in Michigan, like 3 degrees) I let the vehicle run for about a half hour and it hesitantly moved from park to revese and then got a little easier. When I push the button on the console shifter I can hear a clicking. I saw something here about a brake switch connected to the brake pedal but couldn't find a definitive answer. I called autozone and the guy said it was some kind of brake pressure warning switch and was a dealer only part. I don't think this is the problem (when I say that I mean I hope this is not the problem). Anybody got any Ideas.?
Thank you
Neil

britincanada
02-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Ok, I have a 98 Gmc Jimmy 4 door, 4X4. 85,000 miles. It is kinda stuck in park. I say kinda because I just went outside (where it's cold as hell here in Michigan, like 3 degrees) I let the vehicle run for about a half hour and it hesitantly moved from park to revese and then got a little easier. When I push the button on the console shifter I can hear a clicking. I saw something here about a brake switch connected to the brake pedal but couldn't find a definitive answer. I called autozone and the guy said it was some kind of brake pressure warning switch and was a dealer only part. I don't think this is the problem (when I say that I mean I hope this is not the problem). Anybody got any Ideas.?
Thank you
Neil

Well im havein same problem but it is minus 40c to minus 50c here after the truck warms up for 5mins i can shift it out of park

if you find a answer let me know please Brit

pitbullvassar
02-05-2007, 04:44 PM
well I tried fixing the stop light switch hooked to the brake pedal and that has not helped. But like you if i let it warm up for a while (20 minutes) I can get it to go from park to the other gears. The only thing that concerns me is I have a buddy with a 2000 with the same set up and he is not having the problem. At this point I am going to deal with it since I don't need the vehicle desperately at this time and can wait for it to warm up enough to go. It's just so damn cold right now that you almost have to chalk it up to weather. So if you try something and it works, let me know too.

blazes9395
02-05-2007, 05:10 PM
It could be the shift interlock switch, located inside the console, thats the one where you need to press the brake , then this switch allows the shifter to be taken out of park, or it could be somthing as simple as some water getting into the shifter cable and freezing up and not allowing the cable to easily move as you shift gears.

ericn1300
02-05-2007, 06:32 PM
sound more like the clutches are slipping when cold, you might try fresh tranny fluid. newer fluid has better viscosity in cold weather.

britincanada
02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
ok turned out mine was fixed by a new shift interlock switch, located inside the console price $360 canadian plus labour

There might be a workaround for this bye workin around the interlock switch
but if you have kids or a dog inside the truck go for the big fix

hope this helped

britincanada
02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
ok turned out mine was fixed by a new shift interlock switch, located inside the console price $360 canadian plus labour

There might be a workaround for this bye workin around the interlock switch
but if you have kids or a dog inside the truck go for the big fix

hope this helped

Add your comment to this topic!