Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ignition switch

00plyNeon
02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
i put my key into the ignition switch and it will not turn. :disappoin Nothing..I tried moving the wheel but nothing. :nono: I walk away called my mom to use her car then later I tried again -- took my key put it into the ignition and it turned and started :banghead: (unbelievable).

I had not problems with car for weeks. did not think about anymore. Yesturday, the key would not turn at all...it happen again (can not believe it), so I walk away :iceslolan and then came back to the car but Nothing..Nothing. What could it be ????
HELP!!!:shakehead

Bear
02-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Ignition key lock cylinder is bad. I had the same thing on my '98 neon and my '96 Caravan (is this DC thing). Remove lock cylinder and take to a dealer for a new cylinder and a re-key.

00plyNeon
02-03-2007, 09:51 PM
thanks for the reply...how do you remove the ignition switch? is it hard to do?

Bear
02-04-2007, 05:53 AM
First semantics, the switch is the electrical part attached to the bottom of the lock and second the lock cylinder is the part the key goes into. so, in your case it is the lock cylinder we are talking about.

1. Remove the plastic covering around the steering column.

2. Put key in lock and turn to first position (run) not to start.

3. Look on under side of the lock cylinder and you will see a shoulder of metal or plastic sticking through a slot, take a screwdriver and push that shoulder up as you pull on the key to remove the cylinder.

4. Cylinder with key in it should come straight out and now you have two choices.

a. Go to a parts store and see if they have a replacement cylinder, if they do and yu buy it you will now have one key for door and trunk and another for the lock cylinder.

b. Go to a dealers parts department (take key and lock with you) and buy a new cylinder and have them re-key.

The replacement from a pats store is probably least expensive, as i paid about $90 from the dealer and $20 to have them re-key.

Installation is the reverse of removal, just have key in lock and turned to the run position and then slide her back together.

00plyNeon
02-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I did not know thank you for the learn....this forum is helping me a great deal.

I can put the key in the cylinder but it will not turn at all not even the first position. :frown:

Now the steering wheel is lock (all boy) :disappoin

Bear
02-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Take the covering off from around the steering column so you can see the bottom of the lock cylinder. Take a small hammer and lightly tap the lock cylinder while trying to turn the key and hope that works (it did for me).The problem is like playing Russian Roulette with that lock and one time it will fail completely and then you will really be in trouble. once you get the key to turn, I would leave it there and disconnect the battery only reconnecting when you need to drive and then of course when you stop the car, leave the key at the run position and again disconnect the battery (I hope you have a spare key). I am afraid the only place you can get a lock cylinder is the dealer as i saw no after-market parts stores that are selling that part, but I would replace as soon as possible. I am a key stroke away if you need more help and i have done this twice in the last six months (Caravan and Neon).

Add your comment to this topic!