Page updated on 07-15-2018

1993 Accord Temperature Problems - WIERD

staceysue
02-02-2007, 01:34 PM
I have a 1993 Honda Accord EX. I've been having some temperature/thermostat problems for the last 4+ months now.

When IN GEAR after car warms up, the thermostat goes all the way up to the line before the H (almost overheating). Also, when the temp is up to the H, the dash lights/driving lights go brighter & my whole stereo system shuts off. When I shift into nutral, the thermostat goes back to the center, stereo comes on, lights go dimmer, but still on.

SO WIERD. My mechanic said we should replace the fan control timer (under the dash). I replaced it myself and I'm still having the same problem. The battery was just changed as well.

Could this be an alternator problem? Should I replace the fan switch?

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?!?!

Please any ideas will work I don't want my car to blow up.

Thanks

Email me at Staceysue@aol.com

jeffcoslacker
02-02-2007, 06:29 PM
You've got a bad ground or crossed up wiring in the dash...I doubt the car is actually heating up that much (was that actually checked?), the guage is malfunctioning due to the problem in the electrics...

I'd start by pulling some fuses, like to the stereo, instrument lights, etc, and see what effect it has, etc...working your way through the affected systems until you see things calm down, then you have at least isolated the circuit causing the problem...

wirenet
02-02-2007, 10:15 PM
You may want to check and clean the grounds on the ground screw which is situated next to the thermostat.

Add your comment to this topic!