Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint Leveller

drunken monkey
02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
has anybody used this stuff?

I've recently noticed this in my local Halfords (car/auto products store) and reading the can, saw that it's intended for use on areas where respray has been done. It says it re-activates the paint surface so that the resprayed part matches better to the old paint. It also says that it works to level out orange peel.

Logic says that it's just a spray-can of the solvent (can anyone confirm this?) but has anyone else tried this or done the same with solvent to level out orange peel? Success or failure?

Over to you, boys.

Hiroboy
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Sounds like "fade out thinners"

hirofkd
02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I haven't used that particular product, but have been using a similar technique whenever I use my airbrush to paint a car body.

I usually apply six or seven coats of paint, and each time I change the mixing ratio, for example , start with 40% paint, 60% thinner, but progressively increase the amount of thinner for each coat. The finishing coat has something like 20:80 paint to thinner ratio, or even thinner than that, hoping for the extra amount of thinner help blend two adjacent layers.

This way, the thicker paint covers corners and edges well, while the thinner paint levels the very top surface for easy sanding and polishing.

rsxse240
02-01-2007, 09:01 PM
/\ that works well, I know, I use this same method when I use nail polish for paint. however, I have ruined a few paint jobs (and nail polish isn't easy to strip) where I went TO thin, and over re-activated the paint where it flowed away from the edges.

Add your comment to this topic!