Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CPI or egr on W 4.3 v-6

mansvoice
01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
I think I need to change my CPI on my 1995 w code 4.3 V-6. Do you agree?:
I have a rough and rich idle. The truck accelerates fine. Idle speed is about 700-750 in gear. I've taken the valve out of the top of the upper intake manifold in order to inspect the area around the spider. Both sides a wet without any discernable wash, except on the regulator, which is very clean. Should the inside of the manifold be wet or dry?
I'm ruling out a clogged EGR . The last time my EGR was clogged the engine surged and would not hold an idle...but what do you think?
As a side note, the spider, regulator and nut kit was replaced by a Chevy dealer about 2 years ago, or about 12000 miles ago.
Thanks for your input!

ZL1power69
01-30-2007, 07:53 PM
inside of the intake should be a grimmy black color unless you cleaned it yourself but should be pretty dry. if the passenger side is wet, then the regulator is probably leaking and if the drivers side is wet, then you have a leaking nut kit. have you checked fuel pressure at the shrader valve? is your check engine light on? does the exhaust smell excessively rich?

mansvoice
01-30-2007, 08:02 PM
yep, the check engine light is on and ditto on the rich smelling exhaust. The first start in the morning will result in a notable half burned exhaust smoke for just a few seconds.

Add your comment to this topic!