01 accord ex upgrades

XMASTERX87
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
hey. i have a 2001 honda accord ex and i wanted to do some preformance work on it that would be really inexpensive, or well, as inexpensive as possible. does anyone have any ideas of what i should do or what i should get that requires as little money as possible??
actually its for my girls car. her father is a cheapskate and isnt offering to help her with cash, so i have to help her...

I got a 95 accord... i love it.

Igovert500
01-30-2007, 05:03 PM
2 things. Real power isn't cheap. So you can do some cheap stuff, and spend a few hundred to a few thousand on bolt ons, that may get you another 15-30hp. But if you are serious about putting down some serious power, you are looking at spending money...no 2 ways about it.

Intake, headers, and exhaust are the usual places to start, but don't expect much. You can go cheap and get an ebay intake for $20 and a custom exhaust for $250, or you can buy name brands and spend $1,000, either way don't expect monster gains. If you really want power you are going to have to save up for some type of forced induction or engine work.

Secondly, what exactly are you looking to do. I mean if power isn't your thing and you just want to improve handling and looks, you could get some lowering springs, strut or sway bars, and some nice tires and enjoy the corners a bit more.

I say this only because I had a 90 Accord, and after tossing maybe a grand in parts at it, it was barely any quicker, and while hte top end increased a bit...how often do you have your honda up at 120, or the road long enough to get it there. I failed to realize that I had a great daily driver on my hands, and threw money into parts that in all reality only provided me with a desire to start learning more about cars...nothing else.

It's your car, so by all means do what makes you and your gf happy. I'm just saying, don't expect monster improvements for miniman spending...it usually doesn't work that way.

XMASTERX87
01-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Haha i totally agree... but the thing is if i spend money on the 01 accord, ill only have less cash to spend on my 95 accord, which im actually going serious about, since its my car.

actually now that i think about it, the 01 accord does need new tires... and better handleing would be nice... its a v6 and its got lots of power, but i think it needs better brakes and better grip. the abs tends to kick in alot actually... i think the brakes arent good, i need to change them.

ok so lets say i want better handling on the 01 accord, what would i need?

i guess ill have to find some extra cash somewhere else, cause it does feel like it slips after some speed on turns... pretty easy actually.

Igovert500
01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Well you want to lower hte center of gravity. So either lowering springs or coilovers. Lowering springs are cheaper, although you should consider replacing the struts if you do lower it...so at that point, it's practically the same as getting the full coilovers. If you do searches for either you will find plenty of info on what brands, etc.

Strut bars are cheap on ebay and can help a bit, but sway bars are definantly going to produce better results. Again a search should show brands and vendors.

Lastly, some nice sticky low profile tires will increase grip. Wheels are a nice upgrade as well. Not only do they make the car look better, but lighter wheels will lessen rotational mass, meaning less hp is lost parasiticly. Wider wheels also will have a larger 'footprint' meaning better traction in dry weather. Also wider wheels and low profile summer tires will increase the chances of hydroplaning in the rain and snow, so keep that in mind.

XMASTERX87
02-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Lastly, some nice sticky low profile tires will increase grip. Wheels are a nice upgrade as well. Not only do they make the car look better, but lighter wheels will lessen rotational mass, meaning less hp is lost parasiticly. Wider wheels also will have a larger 'footprint' meaning better traction in dry weather. Also wider wheels and low profile summer tires will increase the chances of hydroplaning in the rain and snow, so keep that in mind.

hmm wow i never thought about that... thx for the info man... thats really useful... im gonna look into that. thx for the help.

Whumbachumba
02-03-2007, 03:57 PM
If you are running on the stock rims, you can fit 215/50/15s on without a problem. I don't think that 225 will fit on a 6.5in wide tire though. Get those tires replaced asap. It's not only a handling issue but a safety issue too. Then I would go with a good set of coilovers and finally strut and sway bars.

blacknight
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Also wider wheels and low profile summer tires will increase the chances of hydroplaning in the rain and snow, so keep that in mind.

Um, don't you mean lessen (decrease) your chance of hydroplaning?
The wider the tire the better the contact patch regardless of road conditions.

Igovert500
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
NO, I mean increase.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=16

"While deeper water, higher speeds, lighter vehicles, wider tires, less tread depth and less efficient tread designs will cause tires to hydroplane at lower speeds; all tires will be forced to hydroplane at some speed."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=10

"Low profile tires (most performance tires) have a short and wide contact patch that is effective in converting the driver's input into very responsive handling, cornering stability and traction...especially on dry roads.....High profile tires (light truck and most passenger tires) have a long and narrow contact patch which helps to provide predictable handling, a smooth ride and especially good traction in snow.

Whumbachumba
02-10-2007, 12:15 AM
The more you know...

I ended up loosing the back end in my AV6 going 20mph around a corner. I can normaly hit it at that speed, but the roads were alot more oily than I thought. 215/55 in the front and 205/60 in the back. They really need to invent a tire that preforms awesomely in all conditions.

Add your comment to this topic!